Dessert Tables.... Do You Provide This?

Business By karess Updated 29 Oct 2013 , 6:00pm by kikiandkyle

karess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karess Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 10

So far, I have only done 2 dessert tables. Both were very well received. However, one of my customers suggested that I set aside a to-go basket for the person doing the event (bride/groom, birthday girl/boy, etc). She said that she was too busy hosting that she wasn't able to try everything that she ordered (the person she asked to grab a plate for her couldn't get to the desserts on time as well). 

Do any of you set up some sort of basket for the host/hostess? Do you provide it out of courtesy or do you charge an extra fee for it?

9 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 10

AI don't think this is something that should be expected. You could use it as a selling point and build it into your costs. I think people would like it. I just did a candy buffet for my daughters birthday and my sister made a goodie bag for me because the homemade stuff was going fast and I didn't get to try the stuff I made!

karess Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you sassyzan! I was thinking of charging a little extra if the host wanted a separate basket set aside from the table, but I wasn't completely sure if there was some sort of standard where it was automatically offered. 

Dessert tables/bars definitely get wiped out fast! I know most people pay for at least 3 pieces of desserts per person but from what I've seen.. guests definitely take A LOT more (I don't blame them!). 

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 10

AIt should not be too expensive for you to just buy some white paper candy boxes in which to pack one or two of each item. You can buy them at cake or restaurant supply stores, even Michaels & Joann's. They are less than a dollar each. You can get fancier Martha Stewart designed boxes in packs of 3 for about $5 at Michaels. I would just go with the white one that has the cellophane window. You can pack the box at your place of business and bring it along so you don't have to fuss with it during set-up at the party location. I bet that would be something nice that all your customers would appreciate.

karess Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 12:10am
post #5 of 10

I already have some smaller boxes that I have bought in bulk where I can put a few treats in. However, I was thinking of setting up more of a gift basket type of thing wrapped up in cellophane. Maybe that's too excessive?

My main concern was whether or not most bakers had something set aside for the host. The suggestion from the customer kind of caught me off guard - it was something I never really thought about doing. I figured that there was more than enough desserts provided (I left a little more than what she had paid for - she also insisted on ordering less than 3 pieces per person)

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 12:20am
post #6 of 10

A

Original message sent by karess

However, I was thinking of setting up more of a gift basket type of thing wrapped up in cellophane. Maybe that's too excessive?

Probably. If I owned a bakery, that is what I would do. As a customer, I would not expect a fancy basket, and would appreciate having something to take home. Many times the host or bride is so busy with guests they do not have time to get food and miss out. Also, I think a disposable box would be easier for the bride & groom to take back to their hotel as opposed to a basket.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:32am
post #7 of 10

No I've never heard of this, it's not your responsibility to ensure they get fed. If they are so concerned they can make their own basket before guests arrive surely?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:52am
post #8 of 10

A

Original message sent by SecretAgentCakeBaker

Probably. If I owned a bakery, that is what I would do.

I just read my post over again. I meant to say I would NOT give a basket, just the small candy box.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 4:11am
post #9 of 10

AIf you do something like this, don't forget to charge extra. You can call it a 'to go box'. Either offer it as an option with an added charge, or raise your prices slightly across the board and give it to everyone "free", or just if they spend a certain amount.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 10

AAs an added extra or the cost tacked on to the per person price - sure. Out of your own pocket? No way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%