Facebook Page

Business By rvonderfecht Updated 28 Oct 2013 , 8:05pm by howsweet

rvonderfecht Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvonderfecht Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 6

AI am very new to cake decorating and am unlicensed out of my home. I was told that if I created a facebook page to get my name and cakes out there, I would need to be licensed?

Advice?

5 replies
karess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karess Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 6

Having a Facebook page (or any social media outlets) for your cakes will put you at more risk to getting caught for not being licensed. If you're worried about that then it'd probably be best to deactivate it until you are licensed. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 6

you need to contact your local authorities, for example--the health department and/or the department of agriculture, zoning department, business license peeps, etc.

contact your local county or parish officials, and your city officials--you will likely receive conflicting information--just keep plugging along--

unless you live in ohio, i always think of ohio as a mecca for cakers ;) -- it's very easy there and some other places in the country but ohio especially

rvonderfecht Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvonderfecht Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 6

AI live in Nebraska and can't find anything online stating one way or another regarding licensure so...I will most likely just have to make a lot of phone calls that will lead to another phone call, etc :)

I don't currently have a facebook page just wanting an easy way to get my name out there, but I will just have to do some investigating to find out the legalities.

Thanks for the info!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvonderfecht 

I live in Nebraska and can't find anything online stating one way or another regarding licensure so...I will most likely just have to make a lot of phone calls that will lead to another phone call, etc icon_smile.gif

I don't currently have a facebook page just wanting an easy way to get my name out there, but I will just have to do some investigating to find out the legalities.

Thanks for the info!

because it is handled locally and often the different agencies are not in lock step agreement-- for example my state allows for home baked goods to be sold--but my county does not---unless you live in an unincorporated area of the county ;)

tons of drama and ups and downs--

GOOD LUCK!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 6

http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/nebraska/  If that's correct, it sounds like you have to make the sale at a farmer's market. Google 'cottage food law Nebraska' and a whole lot of stuff comes up. After the insane law we got here in Texas, all I can say is be careful what you wish for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%