Help Please!!!!!!!

Decorating By SweetKiara Updated 31 Oct 2013 , 1:30am by savannahquinn

SweetKiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetKiara Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 5:56am
post #1 of 20

AI have to make this cake in two for a birthday party.[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3128686/width/500/height/1000[/IMG] The base I wll use modeling chocolate and a wood grain texture mat. I have an edible printer so I know how I will add the wording to the bottle... BUT... I am completely baffled on how to make the bottle.... filled with Cake? Rice crispies? Or wrap a real bottle in gum paste.... I am unsure.... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

19 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 6:07am
post #2 of 20

AUse whatever medium you are comfortable with. Personally, I would've had that part figured out before I even started. Cake is easiest to carve. Rice Krispie treats can end up lumpy unless you keep your fondant thick. And if it's too thick, people might not want to eat it. I wouldn't use a real bottle, unless you plan on supporting the weight of it on the cake. Using a bottle as mold isn't a terrible idea, but it leaves an empty gum paste shell that could break easily. It's really what works best for your circumstances. I'm sure there will be plenty of other opinions for you to sift through.

SweetKiara Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 6:10am
post #3 of 20

AThanks for the feed back

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 6:55am
post #4 of 20

I agree with Pam, I've used RKT plenty of times but have had some lump problems too. Personally I'd do it out of cake.

SweetKiara Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 20

AOk thanks lady's cake it is

SweetKiara Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 20

ASorry, typo... I have auto correct on my phone...thanks ladies...

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 20

I did a cake like that, but used gumpaste on an actually wine bottle to make a mold and made a half of a bottle.  Acrtually I think I came down the sides about 3/4.   It was actually much easier than I expected.  I shredded white chocolate for the around the bottle.

tn_1200_0421b87c057a8ca831ec634b85814011.jpg.png

SweetKiara Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 20

AIt's beautiful, how long did u let it dry

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 20

I think I left it on the bottle for about 4 days...that was the hard part..because I wanted to pop it off so bad.   I think I put Crisco all over the bottle...and when I did take it off...it did it very slowly and used an offset to release around the edges.   I was so nervous.

SweetKiara Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 20

AI will try it with two bottles, just in case, and if it doesn't work I'll do cake....you ladies always are a great help.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 20

You can print out a picture of the bottle and cut it out and set it on your rectangle cake and use it as a guide to carve the cake. Even if it's longer than 11 inches, just print out the top and the bottom and then tape them together. Save it, because it will be useful in placing the labels on accurately. You would want to use a firm cake.

Even though the packing material looks like fettuccine in the photo, I'm sure it didn't in person and that the person the cake was made for wanted it to match the peach ;) That's a really good tip about using a bottle as a mold, but the problem with using a real Ciroc bottle as a mold is that Ciroc is expensive and the bottle wouldn't be returnable.  However, it can be really helpful to buy a bottle just to have in front of you in person to cut out the shape (and then return it it).

SweetKiara Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 20

AMy friend has two empty bottles I can have.... I will try to mold it on the bottles(fingers crossed).... But if it's fails I will use a dense cake to carve.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 6:45pm
post #13 of 20

It will work fine. I'd use the back of the bottle.

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 20

ACould you get a similar shaped plastic drinks bottle, and sort of make like a steamed sponge in it! You can just cut he bottle off then and have a cake shaped bottle? If you use a bottle that had something pasteurised in it initially then it would be able to cope with the steaming process and not affect the cake inside. Just a thought. Might be a totally bonkers suggestion though. My other suggestion would be melting sugar in water and food colouring and pouring it over a greased bottle. As long as you leave the wide end open ended you should be able to slide it off once cool?

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 20

AI made a wine bottle cake like this last week and used rice crispie treats to make a half bottle, covered in ganache to make it smooth, and then modelling chocolate to cover. Used confectioners glaze to give the bottle shine. I always use ganache over RKT and don't have any 'lump' problems as it easily fills in the crevices and then sets up to give a smooth, solid base. [IMG ALT="Alternative angle."]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3127374/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

lindseyjhills Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 11:33pm
post #16 of 20

AI should point out that the slight unevenness at the base of the bottle is more due to my decision to add on extra modelling chocolate, than anything to do with the RKT ;)

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 10:19am
post #17 of 20

Great attention to detail, love the board with the wood grain, corkscrew etc.

lindseyjhills Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 1:48pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks. It was all modelling chocolate. I find it much easier to do wood grain in modelling choc than fondant as the tools can sometimes cause little 'drag' marks in fondant if it starts to set up (I do it freehand, I don't have an impression mat and am too cheap to buy one).

SweetKiara Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 1:59pm
post #19 of 20

AThat's impressive...just just assumed it was a mat... Great work

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 1:30am
post #20 of 20

I just did 2 wine bottle cakes and did what previous poster stated.  used wilton fondant and covered a wine bottle let dry for a couple of days.  while it was still somewhat soft cut the sides.  Also used shredded coconut as packaging.  I have to say one of the easiest cakes I made.  Always a crowd pleaser. I rubbed crisco on the bottle to get it a bit shiney.

AppleMark

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%