Rainbow Layer Cakes. How Are You Charging??

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 24 Mar 2014 , 3:34pm by enga

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 1:10am
post #1 of 74

So far I've dodged the bullet on these, but I'm curious how everyone is charging for these rainbow layer cakes? I can imagine the time it takes, especially if you don't have pans/space to bake 6 layers at a time.

I usually charge by the serving, but I don't even know how many servings would be in an 8" round, for example. 

Any help appreciated!

73 replies
goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 1:39am
post #2 of 74

INSIDE SURPRISES

#1 - Distinct rainbow layers- 6 rainbow colors - additional .50/serving

Vibrant or pastel

Requires 6"-8" height of cake - For example, 2 - 4" tiers

Or 1 - 6" tier

Or 1 - 2" tier and 2 - 4" tiers

#2 - Rainbowlicious a.k.a. tie dyed - 4 vibrant colors of vanilla cake - additional .40/serving

#3 - Ombre - graduated shades of 1 color - additional .40/serving

4 shades per 4" tall cake layer

#4 - Zebra- additional .50/serving

Dark chocolate and almond cake designed to look like zebra stripes with each slice

#5 - Leopard- additional .75/serving

Vanilla bean, yellow and dark chocolate designed to look like leopard spots with each slice

#6 - Camo - additional .40/serving

Four colors of greens & browns similar to camo in every slice. Vanilla, pineapple or lemon flavor.

or

Four shades of pink similar to camo in every slice. Almond, cherry, or strawberry flavor.

LoriMc Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 2:02am
post #3 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodvibrations 

INSIDE SURPRISES

#1 - Distinct rainbow layers- 6 rainbow colors - additional .50/serving

Vibrant or pastel

Requires 6"-8" height of cake - For example, 2 - 4" tiers

Or 1 - 6" tier

Or 1 - 2" tier and 2 - 4" tiers

#2 - Rainbowlicious a.k.a. tie dyed - 4 vibrant colors of vanilla cake - additional .40/serving

#3 - Ombre - graduated shades of 1 color - additional .40/serving

4 shades per 4" tall cake layer

#4 - Zebra- additional .50/serving

Dark chocolate and almond cake designed to look like zebra stripes with each slice

#5 - Leopard- additional .75/serving

Vanilla bean, yellow and dark chocolate designed to look like leopard spots with each slice

#6 - Camo - additional .40/serving

Four colors of greens & browns similar to camo in every slice. Vanilla, pineapple or lemon flavor.

or

Four shades of pink similar to camo in every slice. Almond, cherry, or strawberry flavor.

Thanks!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:25am
post #4 of 74

AFor a 6 layer cake with a different color or flavor for each layer, I would double the price of a 3 layer cake. But just as with any other pricing question you need to look at your own increased costs for ingredients/labor and adjust the price accordingly.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 
For a 6 layer cake with a different color or flavor for each layer, I would double the price of a 3 layer cake.

It's not that labor intensive Jason. You only make one batter and portion it into multiple bowls adding different food coloring to each bowl of batter. The added labor is about 15 minutes and the added expense of the colors is at about $1.00.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 74

I only do them in the 8" version and I add $10 to my 8" double price.  That's the base price before all of the additional deco they may have.

LoriMc Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches 

It's not that labor intensive Jason. You only make one batter and portion it into multiple bowls adding different food coloring to each bowl of batter. The added labor is about 15 minutes and the added expense of the colors is at about $1.00.

But there is the extra time it takes to bake all those layers individually.  I don't have 6 (8") pans!

LoriMc Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I only do them in the 8" version and I add $10 to my 8" double price.  That's the base price before all of the additional deco they may have.

I think that sounds reasonable.  I quoted her $45.  She can take it or go to the expensive bakery in town and pay even more.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriMc 

I don't have 6 (8") pans!

Ah.......your right, good point! I never thought about that because I own a lot of pans.

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 74

It could also take more time if you are doing different flavors in addition to different colors. I remember a cake I had only twice as a child with 6 layers, each a different color and flavor, covered in white frosting with coconut. It's been about 35 years and it still impresses me!

JPinBklyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPinBklyn Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 74

I think there are many more factors to consider. In my shop, we charge one price for a basic triple layer 8" cake with buttercream frosting. If a customer orders a 6 layer cake, it's twice the price at least, maybe more. The "labor intensive" part is not all about making the rainbow effect, although it does take time to correctly, evenly portion and color the batter. The added cost in terms of actual ingredients is the additional layers, and additional frosting. While those ingredients are not totally a double recipe (it's like a recipe and a half) it certainly does cost more! As to your time, it takes longer to portion the batter and color it, bake 6 pans, level, stack and frost 6 layers vs 3 layers. I think we also forget all the other costs, when someone dashes off a remark like it only takes 15 mins. No, it takes a longer amount of time for washing all the extra bowls and pans (water bills,electricity for the dishwasher, that costs you money), it takes more time in the oven using the gas or electric you're paying for. It needs a larger, higher box (our rainbow cake is about 10" high!). How do you expect to survive in this business, if you're not adding in all these costs? Water, gas, electricity, wear and tear on your equipment, your time spent purchasing, your time spent paying bills. The risks you take if you drop the darn thing.  If you're in business for yourself, or you own a small bakery, ALL of these things cost you money.  Sorry if I'm ranting, but I strongly resent the impression some customers have that this is as easy as what you remember your grandmother doing with a box of Duncan Hines, leisurely on a Sunday afternoon and therefore shouldn't really cost much for a cake. If it's so easy, go bake one, why are you in my store? Do you argue at the supermarket over how much a box of cereal costs? No, you just pay it.  It's a business, we sell certain products, and to make a living, those products are for sale at a profit, not merely covering costs of ingredients. You're doing this particular business presumable because you love it. But it's a business nonetheless and you have to get adequately paid or you will soon be out of the business. Do you think Ron Ben-Isreal got his start giving away his early cakes under cost? I bet you he did not!

I think if customers were more educated by us as to ALL the costs involved in 'just baking a cake', instead of "oh it's only 15 mins to add some food coloring",  it would go a long way towards everyone making a living! These TV shows don't help, because now the general public thinks Cupcake Wars is in real time, and it only takes an hour to bake and decorate 1000 cupcakes in 3 flavors with 3 different handmade decorations! How ridiculous. TV is not real life. Back to the rainbow cake, it's a 'specialty' cake, and should be charged as such, not merely a small add on to the cost of a regular cake.  NYC prices, I charge $95, pre-decorations. It's a fad right now, people will pay if they want one. If I'm not going to make money on it above and beyond costs, why make the cake at all? The name of my bakery isn't Charity with Frosting on Top! If a customer won't pay you fairly, then toss some rainbow sprinkles on the outside of a regular cake and be done with it!  At some point, take the leap, and don't bake anything you won't make money on. The only thing worse than not making money, is spending your own money to give away a cake to a stranger.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPinBklyn 

I think there are many more factors to consider. In my shop, we charge one price for a basic triple layer 8" cake with buttercream frosting. If a customer orders a 6 layer cake, it's twice the price at least, maybe more. The "labor intensive" part is not all about making the rainbow effect, although it does take time to correctly, evenly portion and color the batter. The added cost in terms of actual ingredients is the additional layers, and additional frosting. While those ingredients are not totally a double recipe (it's like a recipe and a half) it certainly does cost more! As to your time, it takes longer to portion the batter and color it, bake 6 pans, level, stack and frost 6 layers vs 3 layers. I think we also forget all the other costs, when someone dashes off a remark like it only takes 15 mins. No, it takes a longer amount of time for washing all the extra bowls and pans (water bills,electricity for the dishwasher, that costs you money), it takes more time in the oven using the gas or electric you're paying for. It needs a larger, higher box (our rainbow cake is about 10" high!). How do you expect to survive in this business, if you're not adding in all these costs? Water, gas, electricity, wear and tear on your equipment, your time spent purchasing, your time spent paying bills. The risks you take if you drop the darn thing.  If you're in business for yourself, or you own a small bakery, ALL of these things cost you money.  Sorry if I'm ranting, but I strongly resent the impression some customers have that this is as easy as what you remember your grandmother doing with a box of Duncan Hines, leisurely on a Sunday afternoon and therefore shouldn't really cost much for a cake. If it's so easy, go bake one, why are you in my store? Do you argue at the supermarket over how much a box of cereal costs? No, you just pay it.  It's a business, we sell certain products, and to make a living, those products are for sale at a profit, not merely covering costs of ingredients. You're doing this particular business presumable because you love it. But it's a business nonetheless and you have to get adequately paid or you will soon be out of the business. Do you think Ron Ben-Isreal got his start giving away his early cakes under cost? I bet you he did not!

I think if customers were more educated by us as to ALL the costs involved in 'just baking a cake', instead of "oh it's only 15 mins to add some food coloring",  it would go a long way towards everyone making a living! These TV shows don't help, because now the general public thinks Cupcake Wars is in real time, and it only takes an hour to bake and decorate 1000 cupcakes in 3 flavors with 3 different handmade decorations! How ridiculous. TV is not real life. Back to the rainbow cake, it's a 'specialty' cake, and should be charged as such, not merely a small add on to the cost of a regular cake.  NYC prices, I charge $95, pre-decorations. It's a fad right now, people will pay if they want one. If I'm not going to make money on it above and beyond costs, why make the cake at all? The name of my bakery isn't Charity with Frosting on Top! If a customer won't pay you fairly, then toss some rainbow sprinkles on the outside of a regular cake and be done with it!  At some point, take the leap, and don't bake anything you won't make money on. The only thing worse than not making money, is spending your own money to give away a cake to a stranger.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

What she said! :D 

Welcome to the CC world of 'how much should I charge for this cake' discussions JPinBklyn!  There's a new one (or two) every week.. (you may have already noticed).  Good answer BTW.  I'd keep a copy and have it ready to paste for the next one! ;)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinBklyn 

... The name of my bakery isn't Charity with Frosting on Top! ... The only thing worse than not making money, is spending your own money to give away a cake to a stranger.

Nice to have a touch of reality here at CakeCentral!  

JPinBklyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPinBklyn Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 74

Thanks for the responses. I read so many of these posts, and other baking blogs, and facebook etc.. It breaks my heart to see so many people who are letting the uninformed public determine what their time, effort, knowledge, practice, and out of pocket costs are worth. If my words help, then I've done some good I guess. : )

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 8:27pm
post #15 of 74

An 8inch round rainbow layer cake for $45?????????

Do you want a job in Australia?   Hop on the first plane you can get on.   You will be working in a beautiful part of Australia.  I will be your boss.  I won't get in your way ...  I will be taking the orders, you will be living your dream, making LOTS of cakes - and I will be sipping Bombay Sapphire & Tonic by the pool  !!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriMc 

Quote:

I think that sounds reasonable.  I quoted her $45.  She can take it or go to the expensive bakery in town and pay even more.

Is that for just the cake rounds? Like naked cake, put in a box to keep it from squishing and she adds the icing and decorations? For your sake, I certainly hope so! My 8" round cakes START at $84, and go UP from there. For the rainbow, I start at $95.

Annabakescakes Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 9:12pm
post #17 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

An 8inch round rainbow layer cake for $45?????????

Do you want a job in Australia?   Hop on the first plane you can get on.   You will be working in a beautiful part of Australia.  I will be your boss.  I won't get in your way ...  I will be taking the orders, you will be living your dream, making LOTS of cakes - and I will be sipping Bombay Sapphire & Tonic by the pool  !!

Pam, that is a wonderful idea! I want one too! I will convert my attic space over the bakery into a bedroom and provide free room and board. I live in Beautiful Northern Kentucky, and the trees are done changing and we'll soon have a Winter Wonderland. I will put in a fireplace, in the addition I will build, and I will sit in there reading by the fire. I have a metric ton of cake supplies, every tool I can get my grubby paws on. From a projector, to an airbrush, to Agbay, commercial oven, literally hundreds of pans, and 4 5qrt mixers, and a 12 qrt. It will be so much fun!!! And I will quadruple their pay to minimum wage!

ddaigle Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 9:26pm
post #18 of 74

I think we also need to take in account of our market.  Here, a double 8" butter cream cake (borders only) sells for about $25-$30.   If you call 15 bakeries around here, that is the norm.   Not that is not to say you can charge what you want...but the cost of living here is much different than NYC or California...or over seas.     Sometimes the responses are insulting.   I understand you live in a high cost area or can easily get $95 for an 8" double cake.   It ain't happen here.   Please take in account of regions before you attack a price. 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 10:27pm
post #19 of 74
Quote:

I think we also need to take in account of our market.  Here, a double 8" butter cream cake (borders only) sells for about $25-$30.   If you call 15 bakeries around here, that is the norm.   Not that is not to say you can charge what you want...but the cost of living here is much different than NYC or California...or over seas.     Sometimes the responses are insulting.   I understand you live in a high cost area or can easily get $95 for an 8" double cake.   It ain't happen here.   Please take in account of regions before you attack a price. 

Thanks Sarge, this is one of many good reasons why asking "how much?" makes no sense. 

ddaigle Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 10:33pm
post #20 of 74

I dunno Mimi...guess I'm just old and cranky...but I am intrigued about what people charge for their cakes...but Im talking about the people that know what they are doing..and that are charging correctly.    I love to hear the different prices.   I think we are all so frustrated with the undercharging threads here that we get in the defense and attack ALL pricing.  I really try not to get involved in those threads because they just put me in a bad mood...and I want to come here to learn, to help or look at pretty cakes.  

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 11:51pm
post #21 of 74

I would not make that cake HERE in Australia for UNDER $200

Annabakescakes Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 11:54pm
post #22 of 74

AI don't think we have high prices here. Gas is $3.01 a gallon right now, and milk is $2.79 a gallon, and eggs are $1.60 a dozen. A modest 3 bedroom house with a small yard is about $120,000-$150,000. A typical electric bill for that modest home is about $120-160 a month. We don't have a ton of bakeries, but in a grocery store an 8" 2 layer cake may be $12-18. An actual standard bakery with donuts and such will sell one for about $35, but those are still grocery store decorations. Unless someone works out of their home illegally, any actual custom 8" cake is going to cost at least $60 and one place very close to me does an 8" rainbow cake for $160.

Annabakescakes Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 11:57pm
post #23 of 74

Abtw, that grocery store cake is dessert style. Like chocolate cake with chocolate icing and crumbs on the sides with bite size milky way bars stuck in 8 dollops of icing. We used to churn out 30-40 an hour and freeze them. But we didn't unwrap the milky way. Gag!

ddaigle Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 12:01am
post #24 of 74

AWow Anna & pam....... that is amazing. And wonderful for you to get that pricing. Not In a gazillion years it would cost that in here....but I really am intrigued but all the different pricing.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:05am
post #25 of 74
Quote:

Wow Anna & pam....... that is amazing. And wonderful for you to get that pricing. Not In a gazillion years it would cost that in here....but I really am intrigued but all the different pricing.

There are areas where people can't afford custom cakes. Companies selling luxury products don't come into those areas and lower their prices by 2/3 -- it's not good business. Why anyone would sell cakes for less than minimum wage is intriguing to me. Why not just get a part time job?

I'm not referring to anyone specific...I just sincerely don't understand why people do this.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:24am
post #26 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I don't think we have high prices here. Gas is $3.01 a gallon right now, and milk is $2.79 a gallon, and eggs are $1.60 a dozen. A modest 3 bedroom house with a small yard is about $120,000-$150,000. A typical electric bill for that modest home is about $120-160 a month. We don't have a ton of bakeries, but in a grocery store an 8" 2 layer cake may be $12-18. An actual standard bakery with donuts and such will sell one for about $35, but those are still grocery store decorations. Unless someone works out of their home illegally, any actual custom 8" cake is going to cost at least $60 and one place very close to me does an 8" rainbow cake for $160.

A modest 3 bedroom home with a small yard and no extras starts at $400,000 in my area and I'm not in Sydney or in a particularly affluent area, an 8" 2 layer for $12-$18 - doesn't exist here. Just goes to show cost of living can be so different.

Pam I like a slice on lime in my Bombay thanks.

Annabakescakes Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 6:37am
post #27 of 74

A

Original message sent by howsweet

[QUOTE name="ddaigle" url="/t/765291/rainbow-layer-cakes-how-are-you-charging/15#post_7466494"] Wow Anna [/QUOTE]

There are areas where people can't afford custom cakes. Companies selling luxury products don't come into those areas and lower their prices by 2/3 -- it's not good business. Why anyone would sell cakes for less than minimum wage is intriguing to me. Why not just get a part time job?

I'm not referring to anyone specific...I just sincerely don't understand why people do this.

Annabakescakes Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 6:40am
post #28 of 74

AExactly. Otherwise people in my lower middle class neighborhood would be like, "let's go down to Covington and score some cheap cakes!" But they aren't. Cakes cost the same there. And you better lock up your car.

LoriMc Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 8:42am
post #29 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Is that for just the cake rounds? Like naked cake, put in a box to keep it from squishing and she adds the icing and decorations? For your sake, I certainly hope so! My 8" round cakes START at $84, and go UP from there. For the rainbow, I start at $95.

Yes, it was just a white cake with a rainbow border. 

No one where I live would pay $95 for an 8" cake.  Even the most expensive bakery in town only charges $60 ish.  I don't think I could justify that price, but if you can get people to pay it, more power to you.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 9:05am
post #30 of 74

Rainbows start at $95.00 for me too and yep that is properly priced out, not a guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%