Converting A Cupcake Recipe To Sugar-Free

Baking By annebaligod Updated 1 Nov 2013 , 4:27pm by -K8memphis

annebaligod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annebaligod Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 1:21am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!

I have a huge order for mini cupcakes (assorted flavors) for next weekend and last night i was chatting with the customer and she asked me if it is possible that i make a dozen of it sugar free. I said i'll research and then i'll get back to her. I was thinking it may not be as hard but as i was reading stuff in the internet i got confused. I want to do this for her but I don't know what to do now so IM FREAKING OUT!!!

Do you guys know how i can convert my recipes to SUGAR-FREE without sacrificing the size, the consistency and the flavor of my cupcakes? Do you have tips/techniques to share with me?  thanks!

Anne

PS. How about cream cheese frosting? Can i make it sugar-free too (or at least less sugar)?

7 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 5:09am
post #2 of 8

AThere are several sugar substitutes out there, in our research Splenda and Stevia produced the best buttercream.

However, if the customer is looking for a low-glycemic product (e.g. suitable for diabetics) that's a completely different story and is much more difficult to pull off, it would require something like a paleo recipe.

If the request is really low-glycemic and you don't have at least a few weeks to devote to R&D I would tell the customer that you don't offer sugar-free products at this time.

cak3m0m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cak3m0m Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 8

I do a lot of sugar free options for customers so I get the sugar free all the time. Cakes I usually use stevia instead of sugar and frosting, I have a sugar free buttercreme recipe.

This is enough to do one 8-10" round or 24 cupcakes.

1/2 c unsalted butter

2 c heavy whipping creme

1/2 c stevia sweetner

1/4 c corn starch

1 1/2 tbsp flavoring or your choice

Beat the butter until white and fluffy, set aside. Whip the remaining ingredients together until firm. Add the butter and mix with a spatula, scraping the bowl, until well blended.

The consistancy is slightly looser than a thick buttercream. Make sure you add enough flavoring as the stevia can make it taste a little odd without enough flavor.

Here is what the sugar free chocolate looks like

Hope this helps!

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 8

Hi, I use Xylitol to replace sugars in my cake recipes and it acts just like regular sugar.  It's best to get it from a birch tree source. It is used 1:1 to replace your cane sugar.   It is sold in a powdered form as well, but I've not tried it in a frosting recipe.  However,  I can say it has worked great in my cake recipes! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 8

hey--i started a new thread about this--but maybe i should have asked here:

have you ever tried this new (new to me anyhow) 'sugar' in your coffee or in your baking called' monk fruit in the raw'?

http://www.intheraw.com/products/monk-fruit-in-the-raw?gclid=COqr3a2nt7oCFQto7Aod-iwA-w

i've finally accustomed myself to truvia for baking and from that i was able to transition to stevia for coffee--but i'm gonna try this too.

Quote:
 Made from delicious vine-ripened monk fruit, also called luo han guo...

your thoughts?

sherishko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherishko Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:15am
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by cak3m0m 

I do a lot of sugar free options for customers so I get the sugar free all the time. Cakes I usually use stevia instead of sugar and frosting, I have a sugar free buttercreme recipe.

This is enough to do one 8-10" round or 24 cupcakes.

1/2 c unsalted butter

2 c heavy whipping creme

1/2 c stevia sweetner

1/4 c corn starch

1 1/2 tbsp flavoring or your choice

Beat the butter until white and fluffy, set aside. Whip the remaining ingredients together until firm. Add the butter and mix with a spatula, scraping the bowl, until well blended.

The consistancy is slightly looser than a thick buttercream. Make sure you add enough flavoring as the stevia can make it taste a little odd without enough flavor.

Here is what the sugar free chocolate looks like

Hope this helps!

Thank you for this info, I'll try to bake a sugar-free cupcake for my dad. Hope I could pull it off. :)

rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 2:22am
post #7 of 8

A

Hi I hope it's not too late to add something.

We've found that taking an existing recipe and "converting" it with sugar substitutes produces mixed results.  Getting a recipe directly from the company (e.g. www.splenda.ca) turns out much nicer.

Sugar-free icing remains a huge challenge for me. I shall definitely bookmark Cakemom's recipe and keep looking for something shelf-stable.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarren 

We've found that taking an existing recipe and "converting" it with sugar substitutes produces mixed results.  Getting a recipe directly from the company (e.g. www.splenda.ca) turns out much nicer.

true that--and another facet of this same thought is to change your expectations--you may not get a product like the one made with sugar but you might just have a great dessert anyhow--change the name of the recipe and say 'recipe adopted from...' and you got it--

but i'm just doing this for me & my husband so i'm not trying to please a customer either--and he's got sucha sweet tooth he likes all the stuff i make--some of it more than others! but still--

btw-i have a little blog of some of my worthier attempts k8memphis.blogspot.com--mine are gluten light and sugar free for the most part

for example--the 'chocolate cups' on my blog are fantastic--they do not have the crunchy top that the original recipe produces--but wow they are good--the brownies on my blog are not that great--they are ok--they are better with fruity add ins--but i should work on that brownie--

and the lime curd cheesecakes are a staple for me

;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%