Race Car Kit Cakes?? Where???

Decorating By JennB Updated 2 May 2006 , 4:45pm by Lisa

JennB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennB Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 21

does anyone know where i can get one of these "kit" from?? Please help have a nascar cake next week!!!
you can also email me at [email protected]

Thanks and HURRY

20 replies
pandora3799 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pandora3799 Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 21

JennB, I'm not sure what you are looking for as far as "kit" goes... but you can pick up a race car cake mold at any craft store that sells wilton cake products (Michaels.) Then you decorate it with your fave racers colors, number, etc.

Hope this helps! pandora

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 21

Hi JennB, I just sent you an e-mail with the link to the sportscakes site. I hope it helps!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 1:28am
post #4 of 21

For anyone else who might be interested the site is www.sportcakes.com

I used one of these kits and the results were really awesome. I don't think there could be an easier way to make a race car. The only trouble I had was that the cake mix they sent with the kit didn't bake up to fill the pan completely and it tasted okay but not as good a commercial mixes if that tells you anything. The frosting with my kit was black and it tasted great. The price may be a little steep but you end up with a high quality baking pan that you can use over and over again.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 1:33am
post #5 of 21

I also ordered one of these kits before. I ended up using the race car cake pan to make a corvette grooms cake. I am sure it would be worth the money because you could always use the cake pan again.
traci

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 21

I saw these in my local grocery store for $22. I can't decide whther to buy one. The pan would be handy, but how does JUST the pan compare to a Wilton car pan?

Lisa Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker

I saw these in my local grocery store for $22. I can't decide whther to buy one. The pan would be handy, but how does JUST the pan compare to a Wilton car pan?

Same quality but the race cakes kit pan has a more streamlined, corvette-type shape. I wouldn't buy the kit for just the pan though. I've seen the pan alone for sale on eBay before. I think the best part of the kit is the edible images that come with it.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 21

Sorry guys! I should have posted the website when I e-mailed it to JennB. They look very cool. Can't wait to see some pictures.

JennB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennB Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 21

I went to the website but No jeffgordon i guess they are out of it for awhile but in the gallery there are #24 cakes.. its weird so im still back to square one.. im hoping i can just colorflow some numbers and a dupont logo for the hood.. ill post my pics wish me luck thanks again to everyone that replied.. i love this website!!!

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:31am
post #10 of 21

Does anyone knows how many servings can I get out of these cars? can I use a different mix o recipe? thanks

Claudine1976 Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:54am
post #11 of 21

please help!!!! I got one of these cars on a shopping car (internet) and I looked for two hours and do not get any answers at their web www.sportcakes.com
help!!!!!

Lisa Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:55am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudine1976

Does anyone knows how many servings can I get out of these cars? can I use a different mix o recipe? thanks

I got about 20 out of mine...nice size pieces. You could use a different recipe for the cake as long as it'll hold it's shape. I would use the frosting that comes with the kit though. In some cases, it's colored to perfectly match the edible images. It smooths easily and reacts really well with the edible images. I'm not sure if all frostings would do as well.

Claudine1976 Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:58am
post #13 of 21

thanks lisa, thats just perfect, 20 serving is great, I just need 12 cup cakes to complete, and they are on sale 20 dollars, the regular price is 29.99! Thanks for answer
Claudia

Lisa Posted 2 May 2006 , 3:00am
post #14 of 21
Quote:

thanks lisa, thats just perfect, 20 serving is great, I just need 12 cup cakes to complete, and they are on sale 20 dollars, the regular price is 29.99! Thanks for answer
Claudia

You're welcome and good luck with your cake.

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 2 May 2006 , 1:27pm
post #15 of 21

Hey guys - I got a Kasey Kahne kit from sportcakes. I loved the results - you can check my photos to see how it turned out. However, I didn't use the frosting that came with it because it was NASTY! Ugh! I just colored some of my own red and it looked fine. Just a warning when it comes time to do the cake if you order one of these kits - they come with the white borders around them, like any other picture you print out would, and you have to either cut them off with scissors or use an Xacto knife to trim them. That took me quite a while, which threw my whole cake making schedule off so I really had to scramble to finish it. I thought I only had to peel them off, put them on, and be done with it. But it actually takes a while to put them on cuz you have to position them just right, so they all match up together. Oh - and don't cover it in Saran Wrap - it will sweat! I learned that the hard way! And when baking it - make sure you have the hood part supported underneath with something or else it will tip over and your batter will spill out. Anyway, feel free to send me a private message if you end up doing one if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Claudine1976 Posted 2 May 2006 , 1:33pm
post #16 of 21

thanks for the advise, I will use a piece of aluminum foil to prevent the pan from moving in the oven...and I order the black car!!! so Im not sure about making black icing...Im super bad at it!!!! anu sugestions?
Claudia

Pyxxydust Posted 2 May 2006 , 1:36pm
post #17 of 21

By the way - I LOVE your avatar! You can tell just by my screen name that I'm a Tink lover too!

Anyway, make some chocolate icing and then add the black color - it will be a lot faster, taste better, and you use a lot less color. Trust me - anything is better than that nasty stuff they send you.

Claudine1976 Posted 2 May 2006 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 21

Thanks! I will try that! do you think I will dye everydobys mouths black? icon_redface.gif

Pyxxydust Posted 2 May 2006 , 1:45pm
post #19 of 21

Hmmmm, I don't know cuz I haven't done black buttercream in a long time. But it should be better using the chocolate icing and turning it black - you'll use a lot less black paste color than you would if you were coloring it from white. Even the frosting they send you - that would probably turn mouths black too! So you're still better off using the chocolate. If you're going to turn mouths black - it might as well taste good in the meantime! Ha ha.

Claudine1976 Posted 2 May 2006 , 1:51pm
post #20 of 21

You are rigth! thanks!!!!!
Claudia

Lisa Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:45pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:

thanks for the advise, I will use a piece of aluminum foil to prevent the pan from moving in the oven...and I order the black car!!! so Im not sure about making black icing...Im super bad at it!!!! anu sugestions?
Claudia

I made the black car too and the icing tasted good...like vanilla. Try a lil taste of it before you use it and see what you think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%