Trying To Make A Rice Krispy Soccer Ball. . . Can't Get Shapes Right

Decorating By MammaG Updated 24 Oct 2013 , 9:43pm by IowaBaker

MammaG Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 4

I've followed all the tutorials I could find on making shapes for a soccer ball, but honestly the hexagon (white tiles) on a real ball don't like like a regular hexagon, so I'm thinking maybe that's why it's not working for me.  They aren't fitting together.  Any ideas, tips, tricks. . .

3 replies
IowaBaker Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 4

Are you trying to make all the shapes hexagons? They are a combination of hexagons and pentagons.

MammaG Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 4

No.  White hexagons and black pentagons, but they just aren't fitting.  It's smaller, so I'm using 1 inch sides.  I've measured the angles out . . . . the whole nine, and they aren't working.  However, right now I'm just messing with the templates, so it's on a flat surface.  I'm thinking once I actually put fondant on the sphere it might fit?  I'm not sure but it's driving me crazy.

IowaBaker Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 4

If you have the size right, it should fit on the round ball. If they're too big or too small, they won't, although fondant will stretch a bit.

You can make a flat sheet of equilateral hexagons, but not hexagons mixed with pentagons. You can also make a sheet of just pentagons, but not equilateral, they're a little squished. The pattern that makes a soccer ball can't be flattened into a patterned sheet. It would flatten out more like this: http://www.vecpix.com/tutorials/freehand/images/fh004/3d_soccer15.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%