Fruit Cake

Decorating By chezzabelle Updated 23 Nov 2013 , 8:52am by Faradaye

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 5

AI am making a rich fruit cake (6 inch round) ready for christmas but was just wondering how deep a rich fruit cake was suppose to be think mine is about 2 1/2inches high wondered if that was normal or if it should be deeper??

4 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 2:43am
post #2 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by chezzabelle 

I am making a rich fruit cake (6 inch round) ready for christmas but was just wondering how deep a rich fruit cake was suppose to be think mine is about 2 1/2inches high wondered if that was normal or if it should be deeper??

Chezzabelle:   Love fruit cakes.  I wish I had an answer, as the first holiday fruit cakes arrived in the grocery store.  I bought two, then wondered why I had never made one before, as I'm sure a fresh home baked one would taste much better.

Do you have a family recipe that you use?  What do you put in your cake.  I'm really interested as I've never known anyone who made one.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 3:29am
post #3 of 5

6-inch fruit cake is usually around 2 1/2 inches deep

...When making tiered fruitcakes. the smaller cakes begin at 2 1/2 inches, and progress down to the larger cakes which can be 3-4-inches deep. Varying the depth balances the appearance of the tiers.

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 7:21am
post #4 of 5

AThanks for that i did use extra mix to make mine a bit deeper :-) cos i was making 6inches for a few different large families thought if it was deeper it would last longer lol still gotta marzipan them etc.... over the next few wks

I dont have a family recipe tbh i just used this recipe [URL]http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/scaling-up-cake-recipes.html[/URL] and made some changes i.e. the alcohol i used tia maria instead of brandy, hope that helps :-)

Faradaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faradaye Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 8:52am
post #5 of 5

AMy Christmas fruit cakes were about that size this year. They are quite dense and don't have anything in them to make them rise, so they aren't super tall!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%