Help Me ! Cake Business Questions

Business By MoodysSweets Updated 24 Oct 2013 , 7:39pm by -K8memphis

MoodysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoodysSweets Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 6:04am
post #1 of 12

AOkay, so I'm an 18 year old girl, starting my own cake decorating business . Yes, I am very good at it. I do not know how to price my cakes, and I know for a fact I am not charging enough .

I would like to know how to price my cakes !!!

Also, best place to buy materials?

Thanks !!

11 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 10:17am
post #2 of 12

ASounds like you need to start with a proper business plan.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 12

yes what godot said plus i'd suggest you search on this forum for pricing threads--and btw some of it is 'overly passionate' so take it with a grain of salt--but sift though there for the gold

best of the best to you

please come back with more questions

-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 12

there's a restaurant depot but it's in in charlotte ;( kinda far away--probably sam's club and costco--search out restaurant supply stores in your area--

-what kinds of materials?  to start up the business or to bake with or packaging? pinpoint this a bit

-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 12

i've gotten a bunch of great stuff off ebay too--ovens & mixers, fridge--and at a local place for a commercial fridge

edited to say --wait--just one oven ;)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 12

ACheck out the Starting a Business and Pricing Formula links in my signature below.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 12

AThere's no point in working on a business plan if you are just starting up a small home based business. I operated for years without one. For pricing, I suggest checking out all your local competition and find out what they are charging. After you know what the market will bear, get an accurate assessment of your skills (posting pics here and getting HONEST feedback will help) so you know where in that range you fit. Then, figure out your recipe costs to make sure you can make a profit charging what you need to.

I think the first step is to figure out what you should/can charge and then figuring out if it's actually feasible for you to make a living with $X profit.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 12

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

There's no point in working on a business plan if you are just starting up a small home based business. I operated for years without one. For pricing, I suggest checking out all your local competition and find out what they are charging. After you know what the market will bear, get an accurate assessment of your skills (posting pics here and getting HONEST feedback will help) so you know where in that range you fit. Then, figure out your recipe costs to make sure you can make a profit charging what you need to.

I think the first step is to figure out what you should/can charge and then figuring out if it's actually feasible for you to make a living with $X profit.

You essentially described the core components of a business plan.

Jose123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jose123 Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 12

Hai,

I am writing in regards to ask you about the job opportunities after any course in Bonnie Gordon College. I am here in India, i am planning my study visit to Bonnie Gordon College soon. I will be coming in a student visa, its a one month course, but i am confused about the scope for a job after one month course in Bonnie Gordon College.

If some one can guide me pls....

~ Sam ~

MoodysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoodysSweets Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 12

ASupplies I'm asking about is to bake with & packaging . Also, any tips on making fondant ?

-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodysSweets 

Supplies I'm asking about is to bake with & packaging . Also, any tips on making fondant ?

get a list of your restaurant supply places--see if you can establish a wholesale account--this would be after you get your tax ids & stuff--but honestly sam's club and costco will have the amounts you need--plus you can order quantities from your local grocery stores including wal mart--so give it your best shot that way too--aldi's has great egg prices-- i prefer the butter from other places but it's cheap there usually--i think the cream cheese and sour cream from there is creepy-no offense to anyone--watch the sales coming up for the holidays and stock up as best you can--get rain checks if possible--

my best tip on making fondant is that i hate to--buying it is easier to me--in my area restaurant depot had the best prices on all that stuff sugar, fondant etc. but you have to have your tax id & business license to join there at least you do here in memphis anyhow--

for packaging--i get mine locally so...

i'm excited for you--hope all goes well--try your best to start at the beginning--business plan

-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 7:39pm
post #12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose123 

Hai,

I am writing in regards to ask you about the job opportunities after any course in Bonnie Gordon College. I am here in India, i am planning my study visit to Bonnie Gordon College soon. I will be coming in a student visa, its a one month course, but i am confused about the scope for a job after one month course in Bonnie Gordon College.

If some one can guide me pls....

~ Sam ~

so sorry, sam, i have no information for you--but i wish you the very best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%