Cake Portfolio

Decorating By Zoe Meredith Updated 31 Oct 2013 , 9:54pm by MBalaska

Zoe Meredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zoe Meredith Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 14

AI'm putting a portfolio of my work together. I have the photos of my cakes ready, including ones of some of the smaller details. I'm just stuck on what to write. Do I just do simple bits about the decoration or do I go into greater detail and put how I made the cake from beginning to end? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 replies
lisamisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamisa Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 1:52am
post #2 of 14

Give more details to some of the more special or harder-to-make cakes, and you can skip the details for the easier cakes; I mean, it's to show off your cakes, not teach them how to make it. Here are some really good cake descriptions. Writing with a bigger and cuter font helps :lol:

http://www.cafeselmarie.com/wedding_desc.php

LadyMacca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMacca Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 5:01am
post #3 of 14

AWhat is the portfolio for?

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 5:05am
post #4 of 14

ASimple bits about the cake. ..and then depending on the situation you could go in depth about the cake and/or how you put it together, flavor profiles, etc

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Simple bits about the cake. ..and then depending on the situation you could go in depth about the cake and/or how you put it together, flavor profiles, etc

morganchampagne:  do you keep a big book or do you do it all on your computer like a website?

morganchampagne Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 14

AEverything is electronic. I do have select pictures on my website..but I have a photo album on my iPad which is what I take to my consultations If I'm meeting them. However I have found that most people don't really ask to see work...well anymore than what's on my website

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 14

I did pictures only.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 14

AI wouldn't go into details of how you made the cake. A perspective client doesn't care how it's made. Flavors, sizes/servings, special details, and maybe cost should be all you need for client meetings or your website. For example: 3 tier fondant covered wedding cake with chocolate roses, 74 servings, $400.00. Although, the problem with having the cost on there is you will have to go back through your portfolio and update every picture when you change your prices.

morganchampagne Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 14

AI meant to say you could go into detail if they ask....im not sure if that was clear

MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

I did pictures only.

Leah_s:  You've been in business a long time, do most people walk in the door with their minds set on something they've seen before or are they open to your creative suggestions?

......I'd choose to give you my theme and put myself in your capable hands, I'm easy.

Zoe Meredith:  just a thought on adding lots of 'how to' stuff in your descriptions I'm reminded of an old saying:  When someone asks you what time it is they don't want to know how to build a watch.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 3:17am
post #11 of 14

AI always made it clear in the initial phone call that I would not copy a picture / another cake designer's work. I am a cake designer and always offered an original design or at least some personalized aspect to the design. Yes I've done ribbon and pearl cakes but still I tried to add something. If they insisted on a copy I sent them yo a local bakery.

RedneckHippie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckHippie Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 1:36pm
post #12 of 14

I'm a newbie to cake decorating (and the forum), so am answering this mostly from the perspective of one of your clients.  If I were in the market for a cake, my main concerns would be taste and look.  Tasting would have to be done outside the portfolio of course.  In the portfolio, I'd just want to see pictures of what you can do to let me know that your style and ability would fit what I'm after.  A couple pictures of a cut cake so I can see what's inside would be good, too (until I started reading here and elsewhere, I didn't know what "two tiers, three layers, torted and filled" meant, so I doubt most non-cake-decorators would either).

So I agree with Melmar02 ~ keep it simple ~ flavors, size, number of servings, certain details like buttercream or fondant and if all decorations are edible (maybe number of layers? Maybe not), and price.  She mentioned that prices may have to be changed in the future and what a pita that would be, so maybe you could just tell them the prices.  Or maybe you could group the cakes together by price in different folders, ask the customer what their budget is, and show them the appropriate cakes in that price range? 

RedneckHippie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckHippie Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 2:12pm
post #13 of 14

Just thought of something else that might be handy for a customer to see ~ a photo of supports in a typical tall tiered cake, like the photo on this page.  Most people may not know what goes into supporting a cake, so won't really be expecting to hit anything hard when cutting.  They may also be concerned about it falling or tilting at the last minute (and when doing wedding cakes, assuring the bride that this won't happen so she has one less worry is a good thing!). 

I don't think this necessarily needs to be in the portfolio, but it could be. 

MBalaska Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 9:54pm
post #14 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedneckHippie 

Just thought of something else that might be handy for a customer to see ~

a photo of supports in a typical tall tiered cake, like the photo on this page.  Most people may not know what goes into supporting a cake, so won't really be expecting to hit anything hard when cutting.  They may also be concerned about it falling or tilting at the last minute (and when doing wedding cakes, assuring the bride that this won't happen so she has one less worry is a good thing!).

I don't think this necessarily needs to be in the portfolio, but it could be.

RednickHIppie:  that's a good suggestion. agreed - don't put it in the beautiful cake portfolio.

They don't need to see it unless if they actually Purchase a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%