Carmel Leaking Cake

Decorating By halfcaked Updated 29 Oct 2013 , 2:42pm by Krypto

halfcaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halfcaked Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 20

AHelp I am making a wedding cake for Saturday, and they want Carmel filling. I have made the cake, torted, made my dam, filled w/ Carmel, crumb coated and lastly frosted. Just went to get the next teir out to work on and there is Carmel all down the side. What to do? If I made Carmel mousse and filled would it still be good on Saturday? Any help is greatly appreciated.

19 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 12:48am
post #2 of 20

Did you make your own caramel or just buy a caramel sauce?

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 1:52am
post #3 of 20

Could you try a can of Dulce de Leche?  It is pretty thick, I don't think it would make it past a buttercream dam.

Liz

SweetlyEA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetlyEA Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 12:02am
post #4 of 20

Hey, I know its Saturday today but I thought I'd post anyway. I have made my own dulce de leche from a condensed milk can and used that as filling before with no problems. Link below to the recipe. Also I would maybe double dam just to make really sure. Hope everything went well!

http://gourmetdiyshanghai.blogspot.com/2012/10/dulce-de-leche.html

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 12:27am
post #5 of 20

This is a great recipe and it does not leak or ooze at all. It gets really thick at room temp but you can put it in the microwave for a few seconds to make it more spreadable.

http://cakecentral.com/a/thick-caramel-sauce-or-filling

mfeagan Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 1:46am
post #6 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Could you try a can of Dulce de Leche?  It is pretty thick, I don't think it would make it past a buttercream dam.

Liz

Made my daughter's first birthday cake today. Was trying to think of a good filling until I remembered this post. Picked up a can of it at the store last night. I wanted to eat the whole thing by myself! Thanks for posting it! I make my own salted caramel, and it thickens up, but this stuff is amazing! 

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 2:29am
post #7 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfeagan 

Made my daughter's first birthday cake today. Was trying to think of a good filling until I remembered this post. Picked up a can of it at the store last night. I wanted to eat the whole thing by myself! Thanks for posting it! I make my own salted caramel, and it thickens up, but this stuff is amazing! 

Yes, it is really good!  If you have a Mexican market that sells it, it saves the step of boiling the sweetened condensed milk in the can.

I also make a chocolate fudge frosting with it - just melt some good quality chocolate and stir them together!

Liz

mfeagan Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Yes, it is really good!  If you have a Mexican market that sells it, it saves the step of boiling the sweetened condensed milk in the can.

I also make a chocolate fudge frosting with it - just melt some good quality chocolate and stir them together!

Liz

We have real Mexican sections in our grocery stores with the same kind they sell in the Mexican market. We have a lot of migrant workers here from the Spring through Fall. Lots of farming and home building. I have done the boiling method before, but I don't remember it tasting that good! I will definitely try it as a frosting with the chocolate. That sounds amazing! Thank you so much for the tip!

halfcaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halfcaked Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 20

AThank you all for your suggestions. I was using store bought caramel but ended up making caramel mousse. Oh my word that was yummy and worked very well.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 20

Glad you found a happy solution.

A word of caution--please, please, don't boil the can as described in the link above.  Even the makers of condensed milk no longer recommend doing it this way.  The same results can be gotten using safer methods, especially with a microwave, oven, or slow cooker.

There are 8 methods in this article--IGNORE THE FIRST ONE ABOUT BOILING IN THE CAN ON THE STOVE.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Dulce-De-Leche

mfeagan Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybenot 

A word of caution--please, please, don't boil the can as described in the link above.  Even the makers of condensed milk no longer recommend doing it this way.  The same results can be gotten using safer methods, especially with a microwave, oven, or slow cooker.

There are 8 methods in this article--IGNORE THE FIRST ONE ABOUT BOILING IN THE CAN ON THE STOVE.

Thanks for the heads up!

SweetlyEA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetlyEA Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 6:49am
post #12 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybenot 

Just curious as to why you caution boiling the can on the stove? I can't seem to find any information on it. It's good to know that I shouldn't do that, but it turned out fine for me.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 11:26am
post #13 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetlyEA 

Just curious as to why you caution boiling the can on the stove? I can't seem to find any information on it. It's good to know that I shouldn't do that, but it turned out fine for me.

The can has been known to explode, especially if the level of water doesn't remain high enough. Messy, and also dangerous having burning hot caramel flying everywhere if you happen to be standing nearby.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 11:31am
post #14 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto 

This is a great recipe and it does not leak or ooze at all. It gets really thick at room temp but you can put it in the microwave for a few seconds to make it more spreadable.

This is the recipe I use also.   I can't even count how many batches of this stuff I had made.   I use it for praline filling and turtle..both very popular fillings here in Louisiana.  In fact, I split & stacked 4 quarter sheets this weekend for a butter cream tool chest and I used this recipe as the filling.   If you ever make this caramel filling...I think you will never use any other recipe again....it is that good!!!   Get a spoon and enjoy!

mfeagan Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 1:24pm
post #15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

This is the recipe I use also.   I can't even count how many batches of this stuff I had made.   I use it for praline filling and turtle..both very popular fillings here in Louisiana.  In fact, I split & stacked 4 quarter sheets this weekend for a butter cream tool chest and I used this recipe as the filling.   If you ever make this caramel filling...I think you will never use any other recipe again....it is that good!!!   Get a spoon and enjoy!

You make me want to make it now and eat all of it myself! haha!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaulir 

The can has been known to explode, especially if the level of water doesn't remain high enough. Messy, and also dangerous having burning hot caramel flying everywhere if you happen to be standing nearby.

This was the reason for my admonition.  Even the manufacturers of sweetened condensed milk had advised against this process as other options have evolved.  If the water level isn't right, if the can has an unseen defect, if it's forgotten on the stove, etc., there can be problems.  The other methods have fewer risks.

This is directly from the Eagle Brand website's FAQ:

http://www.eaglebrand.com/products/faq.aspx

Is it safe to boil my can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk to make caramel sauce?

No. For safety reasons, we do not recommend heating a can, opened or unopened, of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. The current can is not designed to withstand high temperatures. Instead, please follow these instructions for making Homemade Caramel.

mfeagan Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 2:25am
post #17 of 20

I tried the method of making it in the microwave because it was a little faster. It was on the WikiHow page. It came out chewy. I had to add some cream to it and heat it so I could actually use it. I salvaged it, but I wouldn't recommend that method. :)

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 12:30pm
post #18 of 20

Peeps....quit boiling cans and using the microwave  Buy a candy thermometer and use this recipe.  It's easy peasy.   Pleeeeze.    You will thank me.....until you look at the scale because you ate it all and gained 5 pounds,  That...is not my fault.  I want to throw that out there right now!  :-D

mfeagan Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 12:34pm
post #19 of 20

A

Original message sent by ddaigle

Peeps....quit boiling cans and using the microwave  Buy a candy thermometer and use this recipe.  It's easy peasy.   Pleeeeze.    You will thank me.....until you look at the scale because you ate it all and gained 5 pounds,  That...is not my fault.  I want to throw that out there right now!  :D

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/a/thick-caramel-sauce-or-filling]http://cakecentral.com/a/thick-caramel-sauce-or-filling[/URL]

No more microwaved crap I have to fix will be done! :)

I am DEFINITELY trying that recipe! I'll let you know when I do! :grin:

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 2:42pm
post #20 of 20

AIt makes a huge batch but the leftovers freeze beautifully. You all will love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%