Best Recipie For Sugar Cookies

Baking By chocaholikk Updated 4 Nov 2013 , 1:07am by liz at sugar

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 8:26am
post #1 of 61

AHi everyone... I have attempted to make cookies twice n both rimes it turned in to a disaster at cutting time...fost time the dough was too sticky second time the dough had so many cracks in it thst I couldn't cut thr cookies. I'd like to think I'm getting better at my cakes but I want to do cookies now. Is there a good sugar recipe and any advise or tips you can give me please? I read somewhere that after the dough is ready I should cut immediately and then leave the cut outs in the fridge for an hour to firm up before baking

60 replies
Bakingformyboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingformyboyz Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 9:40am
post #2 of 61

I've been searching for a sugar cookie recipe suitable for cut out cookies and doesn't spread when baked - I found this one on CC, posted by Jackie:  http://cakecentral.com/a/no-fail-sugar-cookies.

Hope this helps.

chocaholikk Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 9:45am
post #3 of 61

AThank you xxx

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 11:43am
post #4 of 61

You need to adjust the moisture in your recipe - if the dough cracks, it is too dry, if it is sticky, it is too wet.  Did you follow the same recipe twice (to the letter) with completely different results??  Seems unlikely.

Liz

chocaholikk Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 61

AActually yes I did. I just left them to chill longer thr first was left for 2 hours the second overnight... :(

liz at sugar Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 61

As cookie dough chills, the flour absorbs the moisture from the wet ingredients..  The longer it is chilled, the drier it gets. 

Liz

chocaholikk Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 9:39am
post #7 of 61

AAhh ok thanks hun x

chocaholikk Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 61

A@bakingformyboys do you know if thr flour mentioned in the recipie in the link u provided is self rsising flour or plain flour?!

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 61

I use the CC no fail recipe. with plain flour :-)

Bakingformyboyz Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 61

Hi chocaholikk

I use plain flour (also known as all purpose flour), as the ingredients include baking powder.  I'm just about to bake a batch of Halloween themed ones for our local school fete!

chocaholikk Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 8:16am
post #11 of 61

AThank u. I baked some last night and they tirned out great for a first time [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3126085/width/200/height/400[/IMG] They can onlt get better I guess

chocaholikk Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 11:00am
post #12 of 61

AI thought thwy would be firm now...but I just picked one up and the ear fell off...they're so soft!! What csn I be doing wrong? help plz!!

liz at sugar Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 11:31am
post #13 of 61

Bake them longer??  How long did the recipe for call?  I usually bake sugar cookies to be decorated at 400 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes.

Liz

chocaholikk Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 12:43pm
post #14 of 61

AThe recipie said 180 degrees for 6-8 mins but then they went a chocolate brown colour...maybe coz I have a fan oven. So these 2 I put in at 160 for 10 mins...

liz at sugar Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 1:09pm
post #15 of 61

Sorry, my temps were Fahrenheit.  I would try the higher temp for less time, just until light golden brown on the edges.  If you will be decorating them with icing, they can be a little "hard" after cooking, because the icing will soften them up again.

Liz

Bakingformyboyz Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 61

AI bake mine on an ungreased baking tray with no baking paper...I find this makes them a bit firmer too..

chocaholikk Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 12:58am
post #17 of 61

AOh great. Thanks for the tips. I'm making some more tonorrow...wish me luck! Lol

auntiecruel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecruel Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 3:28pm
post #18 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocaholikk 

Thank u. I baked some last night and they tirned out great for a first time

They can onlt get better I guess

Oh they look great, Choca ;D I've used the same as you - No Fail Sugar Cookies recipe on this site and allthough my dough was just a wee bit too dry they both helt their shape marvellously and they taste good too!

chocaholikk Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 6:30pm
post #19 of 61

AAw thanks auntiecruel. Mine turned out jus a lil soft. I just need to alter baking times...wud luv to see a pic of urs too xx

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 7:05pm
post #20 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntiecruel 

Quote:

Thank u. I baked some last night and they tirned out great for a first time

They can onlt get better I guess

Oh they look great, Choca ;D I've used the same as you - No Fail Sugar Cookies recipe on this site and allthough my dough was just a wee bit too dry they both helt their shape marvellously and they taste good too!

antiecruel:  A wee bit to dry is what made them keep their shape.  Sounds like it was perfectly done.

Chocoholikk: really cute mouse cookies.  how about a wee bit more flour, just start with a tablespoon in your next batch, rather than overcooking the dough with longer baking time.

SweetlyEA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetlyEA Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 1:27am
post #21 of 61
chocaholikk Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 11:59am
post #22 of 61

AThanks everyone xxx

auntiecruel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecruel Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 1:58pm
post #23 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

antiecruel:  A wee bit to dry is what made them keep their shape.  Sounds like it was perfectly done.

Chocoholikk: really cute mouse cookies.  how about a wee bit more flour, just start with a tablespoon in your next batch, rather than overcooking the dough with longer baking time.

/flex ;D

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 2:07pm
post #24 of 61

Quote:

The recipie said 180 degrees for 6-8 mins but then they went a chocolate brown colour...maybe coz I have a fan oven. So these 2 I put in at 160 for 10 mins...

Those baking times aren't logical. Even a small thin cookie (any kind of cookie) takes around 12 minutes in a 350F oven. I use the NFSC recipe and a larger cookie takes over 20 minutes at 350F. That cookie recipe is very forgiving.......you can bake it until golden brown and you'll have a crunchy cookie or you can bake it very lightly and it will remain soft yet firm when cold.

Try to learn how to bake according to when the item is done, instead of relying on time....because every oven bake a little different.

chocaholikk Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 2:16pm
post #25 of 61

APoint taken. Thank u for ur advice I will definitely be keeping an eye on the colour of cookie because those were too soft. ♥ this site xxx

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 2:18pm
post #26 of 61

Sugar cookies are done when they have lost their shine.   That's my method.

ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 2:21pm
post #27 of 61

I had posted this in another post with the same subject.   This is my recipe that has had great results.

2 sticks butter
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1T. Vanilla
1T. Almond
3 1/2 c. Flour
1/2 tsp salt

Yes....No baking powder or baking soda!   Don't refrigerate dough.   Cut out-freeze for 15 minutes on the baking tray and then straight into a 350 oven.   My time is for a commercial oven so your time will vary...look for shine to disappear on top of cookie.

Stitches Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:01pm
post #28 of 61

ddaigle I'd love to try your recipe when I get some free time. Have you made the nfsc recipe before.....if so, can you explain how your recipe is different that makes you happier with it? Is it softer, firmer, more flavorful, easier to work with, etc....?

Also, do you have a frosting/glaze recipe you love on your cookies?

I've been using one that was posted on another sugar cookie recipe thread here and although I love it I'd like it to be even shinier.

ddaigle Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:13pm
post #29 of 61

Stiches...to me, the NFSC was to "floury" and to me, made it a more harder cookie.    I like "bendy" cookies. If you like  harder cookie, the NFSC is a good recipe, but I still think it needs more flavoring.  A teaspoon is never enough for me in any recipe.   The recipe I use is a little  more fragile than the NFSC recipe but it still doesn't spread. It's just a softer cookie (on the inside).     I use a tablespoon each of 4 different extracts in my butter cream too.   Makes a huge difference.

I think all glazes dull after they dry.   I've used royal and all of the glazes/glaces posted here on CC.   They all dry to a matte finish.   Due to my volume, I have switched to a commercial glaze.  There are 2 commercial glazes that work great.   One is called "sno-top" and the other "white & glossy".   I prefer the white & glossy.   Unlike the home made glazes that you thin with more water...white & glossy and sno top are thinned through heat (microwave).

Stitches Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:18pm
post #30 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

Stiches...to me, the NFSC was to "floury" and to me, made it a more harder cookie.    I like "bendy" cookies. If you like  harder cookie, the NFSC is a good recipe, but I still think it needs more flavoring.  A teaspoon is never enough for me in any recipe.   The recipe I use is a little  more fragile than the NFSC recipe but it still doesn't spread. It's just a softer cookie (on the inside).     I use a tablespoon each of 4 different extracts in my butter cream too.   Makes a huge difference.

I think all glazes dull after they dry.   I've used royal and all of the glazes/glaces posted here on CC.   They all dry to a matte finish.   Due to my volume, I have switched to a commercial glaze.  There are 2 commercial glazes that work great.   One is called "sno-top" and the other "white & glossy".   I prefer the white & glossy.   Unlike the home made glazes that you thin with more water...white & glossy and sno top are thinned through heat (microwave).

Thank-you! I have a customer who likes a softer cookie. Where do you buy your white & glossy frosting? Are they fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%