How Was This Done? ??

Decorating By mareg Updated 24 Oct 2013 , 1:45pm by anavillatoro1

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 4:41am
post #1 of 11

AI'm Making a wedfing cake like this but can't figure out how they did it. I gave to transport it 75 minutes to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated[ATTACHMENT=1350]IMG_5877.jpg (270k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] tia

10 replies
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 6:27am
post #2 of 11

AWhich bit? Looks like fondant ruffles with a rice paper flower.

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:40am
post #3 of 11

AIt looks like buttercream to me, made to emulate the fondant ruffle look (if you look closely you can see air bubbles in the buttercream). Maybe someone who has experience with buttercream could elaborate? (I work mainly with fondant and modelling chocolate)

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 11

I'm a buttercream decorator and that looks like bc to me.

Don't under estimate how difficult that cake is to do!!!

It's just piped on frosting. Off the top of my head I don't know what tip they used to get the falling over edge. The frosting consistency would be important to get that effect. There's a lot of skill in how they finished their borders, especially the bottom borders on the stacked cakes. Plus they did a great job on the ombre because it's almost impossible to see color changes.

I wouldn't want to travel with this at all. The piped edges that fall over to form the ruffles could easily collapse when you hit bumps in the road. The frosting would have to be really hard before I'd attempt to travel with it and your car would need to be as cold as a refrigerator to keep the frosting from getting soft.

It would be a lot easier to do this cake in fondant or make a dummy in royal icing.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 11

AThank you all. I think I will do the ruffles in fondant. Less headache in the long run. Last thing I want is a ruined wedding cake. It's for a good friends daughters wedding..

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 11

My concern doing this in fondant is you would need a lot. Is this done by rolling out fondant in stips and appling it to the cake. Wouldn't it make it very heavy and time consuming. I think you could do it in 1/4 of the time with a good crusting buttercream and tip (maybe 127) not sure on the tip.

Just my opinion on how I would tackle it

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 11

I enlarged the photo and this is definitely butter cream, however you can do something close with fondant.  Just roll or use a pasta machine to make your strips very thin.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 2:01am
post #8 of 11

It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like piped buttercream.  I did something similar (pic below) but my ruffles went the opposite direction.

Bride found this similar icing design in a magazine. Thought it was very unusual and not expectionally pretty. That was until it was completed and after I put the flowers on. Now it's one of my favorites. TFL!!!

what i did was ice my cake in a light layer of buttercream (slightly thicker than a crumb coat) then I used large rose tip (like a 127), I put the larger end of the tip against the cake and held it at a 45 degree angle, I then spun the turn table as I squeezed the bag.  For my cake I worked from the bottom up on each tier, for the cake in your pic, you would work from the top down as another poster indicated.  The cake in your pic seem to have more uneven strips so just move you hand a bit up and down while you're spinning the turn table and you'll get that effect.

Good luck.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 11

Yes that finish is definitely buttercream.  That would be very time consuming using BC or fondant.

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 1:47am
post #10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhbaker 

Bride found this similar icing design in a magazine. Thought it was very unusual and not expectionally pretty. That was until it was completed and after I put the flowers on. Now it's one of my favorites. TFL!!!

Your cake is beautiful!

@mareg - be sure to post a pic of your finished cake! I'd love to see it! I always think this look is so pretty!

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 11

APost pictures when you finish, good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%