Please Help Me To Price This Cake

Business By jilliebean8864 Updated 22 Oct 2013 , 6:04am by enga

jilliebean8864 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilliebean8864 Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 4:03am
post #1 of 4

AI actually made this cake already and I think I underpriced it. Now someone wants to order this same cake and does not know what i charged before. so now i can charge correctly. I know the pricing rules but as a part time business just starting out as a cottage baker, I am not so confident. I am not great at breaking down my costs and I can't compare an hourly wage to what I make at my day job which is a lot (not bragging just trying to be realistic). Please tell me what you would charge for this. [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3124989/width/350/height/700[/IMG][IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3124987/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

3 replies
jilliebean8864 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilliebean8864 Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 4:13am
post #2 of 4

ABTW this is a 10 inch round about 5 inches high.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 5:42am
post #3 of 4

ACheck out the Pricing Formula link in my signature below.

If you need help breaking out your costs, start from the very beginning of the process of making the cake and record the ingredients and supplies needed, then compare that with the unit price you paid for the ingredients/supplies. Include your overhead costs as well, allocated over your estimated order volume.

The hourly wage for a cake decorator is usually in the $15-30 range depending on skill, efficiency, and the cost of living. Salary surveys and market research will help you determine what to pay yourself as a decorator, and don't forget your profit margin to pay yourself as an entrepreneur.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 6:04am
post #4 of 4

Hi Jilliebean, you do very nice work by the way,  with all the detailed work and its with fondant, I would charge at least $5.00 to $6.00 per slice. But that is just a basic rate for where I'm located, it could be much higher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%