Propped Open Lid With Hidden Supports

Decorating By mamabutton Updated 22 Oct 2013 , 8:51pm by howsweet

mamabutton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabutton Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 4

I need to make a suitcase-style record player with the lid open at 90 degrees. Since this isn't a gift box or an actual suitcase, I don't have the option of "tissue paper" or socks or whatever to hide any supports. Anyone out there know how to support the lid? Or suggestions on what to make it out of? I like to have everything but supports edible if at all possible. Thanks!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 4

i made one out of gingerbread but i think mine was laying open-- it touched the hinge area and the top of the table if memory serves--propped open that way resting on the table (cake board)

you could take some artistic license and just use a partial lid and prop it open with a dowel disguised as the holder open stick thing they have built in--if it got closed it would not fit exactly but since it's a trompe l'oeil, an illusion, you could taper the proportions to help it defy gravity better.

mine was the big anniversary of a recording studio here and it was way too small for such a heavily populated event--but the person in charge wanted to go even smaller in portion size and price 5 years later--i said no. i understand budgets but...she goes--"oh we had so much cake leftover last time--nobody ate it"

because it was never served--i was there--there was no shortage of food and drink and that's fine--just stick a candle in a cupcake if that's all you'll budget--you wanna showpiece you pay for it, chickie--

but i digress--

gingerbread baked with honey and not molasses is very very very sturdy--does not respond to humidity -- and i over bake it a bit for good measure--  ;)

mamabutton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabutton Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! (the cupcake with a candle made me laugh!)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 4

If the lid is vertical, I'd probably use a drum covered with fondant supported by dowels. But its hard to say without a photo of what it's supposed to look like.

Fyi, when doing a partially closed box lid with tissue, it's better if the tissue is not what's holding up the lid. The weight of the lid combined with the weight of a big bow can push the cake down in the back where the lid joins the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%