Nightmare Before Christmas Help

Decorating By KellyMaddick Updated 21 Oct 2013 , 6:19pm by KellyMaddick

KellyMaddick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyMaddick Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:53am
post #1 of 3

AI'm planning a large cake for my husbands birthday in December and he loves the nightmare before christmas film. Im planning to do all the characters but im stuck on ideas ofwhow to put jack together. He'll be sat down so it won't be as difficult as standing but it'll still be tricky. Any ideas how I should ho about it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

2 replies
WickedGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGood Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 6:40am
post #2 of 3

I would use a large gage florist wire, I prefer not to wrap them in tape, some do to help everything stick to the wire, up to you. I would use modeling Chocolate and form his basic body, minus head and hands, and cover him in black fondant for his suit, and make his hands and head out of white fondant. Use a fine tip food coloring pen to make his eyes, mouth and details in the hands.  If you are feeling good, make petal dust paint (add water to petal dust) and using white dust to try pin striping his suit. The great thing about his suit is it looks kind of like a scratched pinstripe, so you don't have to worry if your not the steadiest hand.  Also you could use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gum paste (just gum paste is going to dry on you too fast.) Form his spindly body and then use wire and make tiiiiiny hooks at the ends of the wire, dip in water then push thin snakes of the mix onto the wire, leaving the hooks open for feet and the other side wet again and push into the body. Leave dents into the body where arms and legs would connect for an easy seam. I would color him with petal dust paint, black and white. I would still use the pen for face and hand details.  Put a toothpick or wire in his butt to help him sit. It is all about experimenting and starting early to let everything dry in place.  I hope everything goes well, if you have any questions, ask, because I tried not to leave you pages and pages. Lol. Good luck, post pictures when you have it done.  You make me want to make him just for fun! :-D

KellyMaddick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyMaddick Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 3

AThanks I'll give it a go that way. Ive not used modelling chocolate before but I've wanted to give it a go for a while so I cant wait ti give it a go. Thanks for the advice x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%