Cake Filling And Cake Decorating Tips Needed!

Decorating By bridinney Updated 20 Oct 2013 , 3:46am by BrandisBaked

bridinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridinney Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 2:37am
post #1 of 4

AHi everyone! I am by no means a professional baker, just an 18 year old who loves baking :). I recently made a cake for my sister for her bday. The fondant was incredibly soft and I added it 6 hours after being made but then again I didn't have any of the corn syrup so that could have made a different. The figures were absolutely soft, falling over and everything. Anyway I want to make a cake for my dads 40th and it was have a football player as the topper. See pic below. What should I use to make him? Gum paste, fondant, a mixture of two, or modeling chocolate!? I want the bottom tier to be chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream and oreo fluff filling and the top cake to be vanilla with vanilla buttercream and the oreo fluff again. The problem is, I have finals around when I need to make the cake and even if I don't have a final that day, I can't possibly make the cake the day of the party as we are also cooking for 40 ppl. (Surprise party at a hall). can I freeze a cake made like this? What will happen to the fondant and the fluff? I need advice please!! I don't want to open the freezer the day of to a cake that's totally ruined :(. I could probably make the day before and even put the fondant and buttercream and filing on the day of if that would work. Sorry for the long story, thanks for the help :)[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3123553/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

3 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 2:58am
post #2 of 4

ABake, fill and freeze (wrapped In plastic) in advance. Ice and cover your cake the day before or the day of the event.

I would use modeling chocolate for your figures - I hate the other alternatives.

bridinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridinney Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 3:41am
post #3 of 4

AThanks for the help! Have you had experience with freezing oreo fluff or something similar? I will be using a recipe that contains pudding mix, cool whip, marshmallows and Oreos. Will this cause the cake to be soggy once thawed? Also can I cover the modeling chocolate with fondant so I get the desired colors?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 3:46am
post #4 of 4

AI regularly make cakes that have a crushed oreo/whipped topping filling and freeze them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%