Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By CONFECTIONERIE Updated 7 Mar 2014 , 3:37am by lcubed83

CONFECTIONERIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONERIE Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 2:01am
post #1 of 21

Hi y'all.

I'm pretty into American Buttercreams, mostly because they're what I first learned, but due do a recent need I want to expand into Swiss Buttercreams.  I think the first SMBC I'm going to try is Sweetapolita's; I did a little research on here and this seems to be a good, recommended recipe.

Now, the main reason I'm posting this thread is because I'm looking to develop SMBC into my primary frosting for sans-fondant weddings cakes but, to be honest, that's a lot of eggs.  The whole "raw egg" business doesn't bother me in the slightest, but a wedding cake needs a lot of frosting and consequently a lot eggs and a lot more money than I'd like to spend on eggs.  I'm working on getting a Costco membership but that won't be for a little while, so I'm looking for something for interim. 

Soooo... (after long, drawn out blabbering)...

Can I make a SMBC with a meringue made from meringue powder?  I saw that several people have asked this question in the past and this link had been posted as a response.  But I just want to know if anybody had a recipe that they'd be willing to share or if they have any stories/experiences with this particular substitution.

Thank youuu

Steph

20 replies
Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 2:15am
post #2 of 21

AYou will be using less sugar so that will help offset the cost of the eggs. I have never used meringue powder. You could always try making a small batch to see how it works for you. The eggs aren't raw, they are cooked until they reach 160 degress. I use the same recipe you mentioned. You will love it! Best wishes,

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 2:23am
post #3 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto 

You will be using less sugar so that will help offset the cost of the eggs. I have never used meringue powder. You could always try making a small batch to see how it works for you. The eggs aren't raw, they are cooked until they reach 160 degress. I use the same recipe you mentioned. You will love it! Best wishes,

I guess I never thought of that! ABC uses a lot of powdered sugar!

Thanks for the input!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 7:54am
post #4 of 21

I've recently gotten into SMBC as well.  I used that same recipe and it's great!  I used fresh eggs the first time I made it, but it took a long time to separate all the eggs and then you lose some eggs if the yolk breaks... The next batch I made with eggs whites from a carton.  A quart would make of 3 batches of icing and it cost under $4 from Winco.  I thought this was a great bargain saving $, time and waste.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

".............The next batch I made with eggs whites from a carton.  A quart would make of 3 batches of icing and it cost under $4 from Winco.  I thought this was a great bargain saving $, time and waste.

Pastrybaglady:  can't imagine someone in a huge bakery making 25 quarts of icing cracking eggs, but maybe they do?  It's not that hard to do, and fresh quality ingredients make great baking.

Carton eggs don't seem to whip up to the same volume as fresh (at least for me they don't)

but they are pasteurized.   non-commercial home baker opinion here

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 21

AI'm a homebaker as well :) I've read on different threads there is a difference between fresh and pasteurized but not a huge one. The OP was talking about using meringue powder (which I have never done), I just wanted to offer another option. I wonder if anyone has ever made SMBC with fresh, pasteurized and meringue powder and can tell us the differences?

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 21

Shoot....the eggs are the cheap part!  What about all that butter...yikes.8-O

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by CONFECTIONERIE 

".......Can I make a SMBC with a meringue made from meringue powder?....."

confectionerie:  short answer - probably.    long answer - don't.  There is not much need to.

Once you've tasted SMBC you'll rarely look back. The time it takes to make is WELL worth it IMO.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 21

This is a recipe I have made using a couple of different recipes.  I have made several variations of this and have always had great results.  The liquid that would usually be water I subbed  for alcohol.  As far as I can tell, most of the alcohol cooks out. 

Champagne or Spiced Rum SMBC

3 T.+1tsp. Meringue Powder         Scant 2/3 C. pink champagne or Spiced Rum                          1 ½ C. sugar                             Pinch of salt.                        

2 C.(1lb.)[4 sticks] butter room temp.

Place first 4 ingredients in top of double boiler.  Fill bottom pan with ½ inch water and bring to boil and lower to simmer. Place top pan over simmering water and gently whisk until ingredients are hot (about 130-140 degrees) and sugar is dissolved.  Pour into mixer bowl with the wire whisk attached and whip on medium until mixture is cooled, about 5 + minutes.  Outside of bowl should be cool to touch. Stop mixer, remove whisk and attach paddle.  Beating at low speed, add butter in 8 to 10 additions.  Increase speed to medium and continue to beat until butter cream is thick and smooth--up to 5 minutes longer.

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 12:09am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

confectionerie:  short answer - probably.    long answer - don't.  There is not much need to.

Once you've tasted SMBC you'll rarely look back. The time it takes to make is WELL worth it IMO.

It's not so much the time aspect that bothers me.  I consider myself a perfectionist so taking my time with something isn't an issue.  I'm just rather young, (living paycheck-to-paycheck and working on my student loan debt) and all my spare funds go directly into my fledgling baking business and it's hard for me to spend so much money on eggs.  My first SMBC attempt will definitely be a true SMBC, egg whites and all, just so that I can get the hang of it.  Maybe I'll fall so in love with it that I won't even bother with a meringue powder version!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynee 

This is a recipe I have made using a couple of different recipes.  I have made several variations of this and have always had great results.  The liquid that would usually be water I subbed  for alcohol.  As far as I can tell, most of the alcohol cooks out. 

Champagne or Spiced Rum SMBC

3 T.+1tsp. Meringue Powder         Scant 2/3 C. pink champagne or Spiced Rum                          1 ½ C. sugar                             Pinch of salt.                        

2 C.(1lb.)[4 sticks] butter room temp.

Place first 4 ingredients in top of double boiler.  Fill bottom pan with ½ inch water and bring to boil and lower to simmer. Place top pan over simmering water and gently whisk until ingredients are hot (about 130-140 degrees) and sugar is dissolved.  Pour into mixer bowl with the wire whisk attached and whip on medium until mixture is cooled, about 5 + minutes.  Outside of bowl should be cool to touch. Stop mixer, remove whisk and attach paddle.  Beating at low speed, add butter in 8 to 10 additions.  Increase speed to medium and continue to beat until butter cream is thick and smooth--up to 5 minutes longer.

Thank you!  I'll definitely try this!

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 12:56am
post #11 of 21

When I use carton egg whites, I always make sure to add some cream of tartar and whip them at high speed to get them ultra stiff.  I have had very good luck with it.  I use the carton that is green and white (not the Eggbeaters brand).

I vary between using fresh egg whites and carton egg whites.  Can't say that I can taste a difference between the end product.  If using fresh, I heat them up to 160 degrees F.  If using carton, 140 degrees F.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 1:25am
post #12 of 21

AI feel like meringue powder is not that cheap. I can find eggs for pretty cheap. Do you have an Aldi near you? Their eggs are very cheap.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 1:25am
post #13 of 21

AHow many times can I say "cheap" in one post?! :)

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 1:38am
post #14 of 21

AWhenever I used carton egg whites they never come out the same as regular egg whites. I now only use egg whites from eggs.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 9:38am
post #15 of 21

Using eggs from a carton for meringue ? read the packaging ... some do not recommend their product for meringue-type items ..

SMBC - to use meringue powder, follow the instructions on the package to make the equivalent of large egg whites required. Once made up, proceed as with the rest of the recipe ..example: 

http://veenaartofcakes.blogspot.co.il/2011/11/meringue-buttercream-with-meringue.html

To cost it out, rough calculating ...

* Liquid Egg: 16 in a $4.50 carton
* Eggs: 12 in a $2.50 carton 
* Wilton Meringue Powder from Amazon: $9.97 for 8 ounce container using 1 tb per 3 tb water per egg white - 8oz container is 36 teaspoons or 12 tablespoons which is equivalent of 12 egg whites

then 

* Liquid egg - 4.50 divided by 16 = 28 cents each egg white

* whole egg - 2.50 divided by 12 = 11 cents if you use the yolk for something else, or 22 cents if you discard the yolk

* Meringue powder - 9.97 divided by 12 = 83 cents per "egg white" [Corn starch, egg whites, sugar, gum arabic, calcium sulfate, citric acid, cream of tartar, artificial flavors, silicon dioxide.]

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by auzzi 

Using eggs from a carton for meringue ? read the packaging ... some do not recommend their product for meringue-type items ..

SMBC - to use meringue powder, follow the instructions on the package to make the equivalent of large egg whites required. Once made up, proceed as with the rest of the recipe ..example: 

http://veenaartofcakes.blogspot.co.il/2011/11/meringue-buttercream-with-meringue.html

To cost it out, rough calculating ...

* Liquid Egg: 16 in a $4.50 carton
* Eggs: 12 in a $2.50 carton 
* Wilton Meringue Powder from Amazon: $9.97 for 8 ounce container using 1 tb per 3 tb water per egg white - 8oz container is 36 teaspoons or 12 tablespoons which is equivalent of 12 egg whites

then 

* Liquid egg - 4.50 divided by 16 = 28 cents each egg white

* whole egg - 2.50 divided by 12 = 11 cents if you use the yolk for something else, or 22 cents if you discard the yolk

* Meringue powder - 9.97 divided by 12 = 83 cents per "egg white" [Corn starch, egg whites, sugar, gum arabic, calcium sulfate, citric acid, cream of tartar, artificial flavors, silicon dioxide.]

I never though it like this, what a revelation. Thanks!!

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 8:24pm
post #17 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by travmand 

I agree! I would be really concerned about the cost of butter! 

Whole eggs are great because you can save the yolks for fillings like lemon curd or pastry cream or mayonnaise etc. but I do use pasteurized eggs if I know that small children, pregnant women, or sick people may be eating the cake. 

Faradaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faradaye Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 9:08pm
post #18 of 21

AI make my SMCB from fresh eggs, then I use the yolks to make French meringue buttercream. It's also delicious, and means I'm not wasting yolks. The yolks are fine sitting in the fridge for a couple of days before I make it.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 9:34pm
post #19 of 21

I use the carton egg whites, but you need to look at the ingredients (not all are just egg whites). Some brands seem to work better than others. I've used the Eggbeaters brand, but it seems to take longer to whip up. I'm going to try the Target brand next. And yes cream of tartar is a must with the pasteurized egg whites. If you're wanting to save money, then just buy real eggs and use the yolks to try out different recipes. If you want easy, less hassle, and less waste, then go with the carton.

Quote:
 Originally Posted by travmand View Post

I know what you mean about butter.... I wish it was a bit cheaper. Thank goodness for sales, I buy lots of butter and pop it in my freezer. Which reminds me, I need to go buy more, I'm down to my last pack....

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 3:30am
post #20 of 21

Yeah..the eggs are the cheap part.  Even cracking them and throwing out the yolks is cheaper than powder or cartons of egg whites.  But the butter....yikes.  And...it weighs a ton.  But....it IS the best so get crack'n.

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 3:37am
post #21 of 21

I made SMCB for the first time this past weekend.  First batch was real eggs.  Whipped up beautifully, never got the "curd" look, tasted great.  Second batch was EggBeaters.  Took 2.5x longer to whip up, had a funky smell.  Ended up OK in the end.

I think I will stick with real eggs.  I will have to try the recipes that use the yolks, as I do feel wasteful! 

Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%