Anyone Ever Use A Crumbled Cake Layer Between Cakes?

Decorating By DebinD Updated 19 Oct 2013 , 9:55pm by DebinD

DebinD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebinD Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 4

ALong story... I was making a 2 layer 9" round cake for my kids school cake walk And I also made 2 6" rounds since it is a 3 layer recipe. It seems my arrangement in the oven wasn't good and I got a super lopsided layer. But I do have the 2 6" layers. I was considering either a) Making the good 9" into a 6" - which seems fraught with opportunity for error Or Mixing the other layers into a cake ball esque mix and sort of freezing that in the pan and then adding that as a layer in the 6" round. Does that make any sense? Anyone ever tried that?

3 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 4

AHonestly I think that would be gross having a mushy layer of cake, not to mention the fact that you would have a hard time stacking and decorating it. I would just freeze the 6" for cake pops or a trifle dessert.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 4

I haven't done it as a whole layer, but I have done it once to add some raised areas to a cake (mountains, hills, etc) and I agree with Annie that it ends up feeling like a mushy layer of cake.  Compared to the rest of the cake, it just seems off.  

DebinD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebinD Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 4

AOkay - scratch that!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%