Wedding Show Samples

Business By tmacmahon22 Updated 23 Oct 2013 , 1:54am by mfeagan

tmacmahon22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmacmahon22 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 6

hi everyone!

I've booked in to do the National Wedding Show in London next year, and I'm debating on how much cake to take with me for the 3 days it lasts for. Its a HUGE amount of people that turn up to it over the 3 days - 6,000 brides and up to 17,000 people. 

Pretty intimidating when trying to think about cake samples!!!

I usually prefer to make mini cupcakes for hygiene and ease reasons. Although they aren't that easy to transport, as no one seems to have created large scale mini cupcake trays (unless someone can prove otherwise??). 

Does anyone have any advice on this situation? I'm thinking of only taking 2 flavours - one chocolate and one more interesting.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 6

i would go stark raving mad to make  this many thousand mini cupcakes and give them away--

cahhn't breath

knees are weak

fading...

fading....

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 6

I. Cannot. Imagine.

I just did one where I went through 1400 samples in 2.5 hours. I should have brought 3000. It was for one day and they originally estimated 1000 people. I also went through all my business cards and DH had to FLY as fast as he could home and pick up another box.

I could have slept for a week when we finished.

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 6

AAre samples a good idea? Can't you offer to send brides a sample if they fill in a form?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 6

buy a big freezer and start baking now? ;)

i mean over 5,000 peeps a day are going to be coming 'round your booth? wow

that's more than 7 people a minute i think--if you do two flavors some will want both <thud> i fainted ;)

what about roll out  a sheet of cookie dough that you place a repeating stencil of a wedding cake silhouette and airbrush then cut out into rectangle shapes with a roller cutter

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CIELFE/?tag=cakecentral-20

you can stack them securely for transport--i've always airbrushed after baking but i'd sure as shooting find a way to do it before baking for something this big--no individual packaging nightmare either--

you could maybe thin the cookie dough to a brush-able consistency with water or milk--then brush over the stencil with that maybe--i'd find a way to make it work with a stencil--or use a negative stencil--

whoosh done--

i would do a small 1x2" cookie --

reserve some real cake samples for those who book a date with a small deposit--details at an appointment following the event--maybe something like that--

but my suggestion is to streamline that sample thing--unless you are very big bakery?

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 1:54am
post #6 of 6

I just did a wedding show over the weekend and did the mini cupcakes. I just used sheet cake boxes with the cake boards to support the cupcakes. I was able to put about 100 minis in each box. I used a huge piping tip so I only had to do one squirt of buttercream on each cupcake. I was done frosting 300 in about 5 minutes. I will definitely do the mini cupcakes for the next bridal show I do! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%