Is It Safe?

Decorating By bugaboo41 Updated 21 Oct 2013 , 3:56am by cakestomuch

bugaboo41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bugaboo41 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 25

Hi Everyone,

I stupidly marked the the bottom of my cake pan with a permanent marker because I am always forgetting the size... It's the underside and would not come in contact with the batter, but now I am afraid to put it in the oven in case it's unsafe... (Not sure if fumes would harm)

Anyone know if this is okay to use? I scrubbed most of it off with a magic eraser and it's faded quite a bit.

24 replies
IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 25

I want to know the answer to this, too! A consignment shop near me marks cake pans with permanent markers. Sometimes on the INSIDE! :x I won't buy those.

This was an aluminum pan, right? How did Magic Eraser do? Did it leave it scuffed or discolored? I've tried both rubbing alcohol and using a dry erase marker over the permanent (both work on many surfaces), but neither did a thing.

bugaboo41 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 25

This is an aluminum Wilton pan... The magic eraser worked well, taking off most so that it's just a faint mark now... I put it in the oven and couldnt smell any fumes and I am assuming it will be okay. But I would LOVE to hear if anyone has done the same.

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 25

Thank you so much!

I have baked in a pan with permanent marker on the outside and survived. No change in taste and I didn't smell anything, although I don't have a good sense of smell.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 25

omg! are you kidding me?  cake swat teams in your respective locations have been dispatched and are encircling your houses as we speak--don't go near the windows! they are armed with piping bags and have been instructed to shoot  with swirls...surrender now before it's too late ---  :lol:

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 25

It's safe to bake permanent marker, from a fumes perspective, based on what I have seen on Pinterest anyways...LOL

:D

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 25

I don't know if Pinterest is a trusted source for information about safety concerns :wink: 

bugaboo41 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 25

Thank you

bugaboo41 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

omg! are you kidding me?  cake swat teams in your respective locations have been dispatched and are encircling your houses as we speak--don't go near the windows! they are armed with piping bags and have been instructed to shoot  with swirls...surrender now before it's too late ---  :lol:

Not quite sure what the sarcasm is for k8memphis. It is an honest question and no need for a reply if you didnt have an answer.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 25

We're also here to have fun. Kate's a valuable member here and I saw no harm with her response.

bugaboo41 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 25

ANo problem with fun :-) ... but when you start a reply with "omg.. are you kidding me?" Takes a bit away from the funny parts. I had an honest question that I was concerned about. I am a new baker and would never want to do anything that puts harm toward others. All i was looking for was the perspective from seasoned bakers. :-D

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 25

K8 was simply implying that the "cake police" won't be at your door to arrest you for using a pan with a permanent marker written on the bottom of it. :) 

You'll be fine with it on there. I'm sure you're not the only baker who writes on their pans. :)

-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugaboo41 

Not quite sure what the sarcasm is for k8memphis. It is an honest question and no need for a reply if you didnt have an answer.

my humblest apology--was only meant in jest--no sarcasm intended

bad  word choice

please accept my sincere apology

bugaboo41 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 7:42pm
post #14 of 25

Quote:

my humblest apology--was only meant in jest--no sarcasm intended

bad  word choice

please accept my sincere apology

Absolutely K8 :) I was just worried because there were some young children going to be eating the cake. I can be overly cautious sometimes!

-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 25

what i was thinking when i wrote that--was that the baked on bits and barnacles growing and burning on the insides of ovens and splattered on from broiling fish & steak in the ovens across the land is way worse than marker--

didn't come out right...oops

bugaboo41 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 7:44pm
post #16 of 25

I was thinking toxic fumes and poisoning and people dying and world meltdowns....

-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 7:45pm
post #17 of 25

i can be too --overly cautious-- i drive myself nuts--it's a short trip ;)

my husband is banned from using the phrase "over thinking" -- it's my gift  :lol: 

-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 7:53pm
post #18 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugaboo41 

I was thinking toxic fumes and poisoning and people dying and world meltdowns....

planets colliding--i getcher vision--i'm on it!

i tell yah--when i have used new wet toweling around my cake pans like magic cake strips are used--dang --i'm positive i've burned up countless important brain cells breathing those fumes--omg--but the cakes were fine--go figure

bugaboo41 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 8:01pm
post #19 of 25

Quote:

planets colliding--i getcher vision--i'm on it!

i tell yah--when i have used new wet toweling around my cake pans like magic cake strips are used--dang --i'm positive i've burned up countless important brain cells breathing those fumes--omg--but the cakes were fine--go figure

They are eating my cake as we speak, so if the universe implodes, you will know it was indeed my toxic marker that did us all in K8.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 8:24pm
post #20 of 25

so you would be permanently marked as having brought about  world piece(s) (peace)--not a bad thing ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so all that to say--consider marking the side of your pan so you can tell which is which without unstacking them and flipping it over--

when you are seasoned you can tell the size by eye

;)

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 8:37pm
post #21 of 25

Quote:

what i was thinking when i wrote that--was that the baked on bits and barnacles growing and burning on the insides of ovens and splattered on from broiling fish & steak in the ovens across the land is way worse than marker--

didn't come out right...oops

Ick!  This seriously made me run to go double check my oven haha.  Thankfully it's never been that bad :)

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 8:39pm
post #22 of 25

Referring to this and other crafts on Pinterest:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/252131279110527216/

-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 9:48pm
post #23 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Referring to this and other crafts on Pinterest:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/252131279110527216/

wow--how cool! great gift idea huh--

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake 

Ick!  This seriously made me run to go double check my oven haha.  Thankfully it's never been that bad :)

oh there's still time for you-- it's very easy--just ignore it  and broil a lotta fish :lol: 
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 5:23am
post #24 of 25

AWhat's likely to happen if you bake with a pan that was marked on the outside with a permanent marker? It'll probably fade. Then again, "permanent" markers being what they are, if you don't bake with the pan, it'll probably still fade. Sharpies in particular carry an "AP" certification from the Art and Creative Materials Institute, certifying them non-toxic, and so long as it's a non-food-contact surface, that should be good enough, and the degradation products, if any, are likely to be no more toxic than those of the food spills in your oven.

As far as removing it goes, well, just because ethanol never completely cooks out of food, doesn't mean that ethanol, isopropanol, acetone, and even far nastier stuff like methanol and toluene, for that matter, won't evaporate quickly and cleanly from a non-porous inorganic surface (e.g., metal, glass, glazed ceramic).

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:56am
post #25 of 25

A

Original message sent by bugaboo41

Hi Everyone,

I stupidly marked the the bottom of my cake pan with a permanent marker because I am always forgetting the size... It's the underside and would not come in contact with the batter, but now I am afraid to put it in the oven in case it's unsafe... (Not sure if fumes would harm)

Anyone know if this is okay to use? I scrubbed most of it off with a magic eraser and it's faded quite a bit.

If you are that concerned about the marker then get a really high numbered grit sand paper and buff it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%