How can I fix my batter

Decorating By JoyceD Updated 19 Oct 2013 , 12:24am by MBalaska

JoyceD Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 7

I am using a doctored white cake recipe and I accidently added what I think is too much oil.  Recipe states to use 1 box white, 3 whole eggs, 6oz melted white chocolate, water as called for on the box and 2 Tbs oil.

Since I am doubling the recipe, I used 2 boxes white, 6 whole eggs, 11 oz melted chocolate since that is the size of the package, and instead of 4 Tbs oil, I read the box and doubled the 1/3 cup.

Knew what I did immediately when I noticed my batter rather on the runny side.

Help! Don't have time to start over on this cake.  Will it be okay, or can I add some flour or something to thicken it up?

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 7

bake a cupcake and see what you think

if you decide to add a touch of flour i'd use self rising add some sugar and maybe toss in an egg or something

i don't think it will be that big a deal if you do add or don't add--should be fine

i'm more concerned that the chocolate might have globbed up on you--were you careful temperature wise when you added it?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 7

in fact i'd bake two cupcakes--one as is and one with the additions--

just a thought

JoyceD Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 7

I kept bumping the mixer on super low as to keep the batter in motion.  Actually, after it set for a short bit, it started to thicken up.  No doubt the melted chocolate, but after some more short bursts on low speed, it would loosen up again.  I added about another cup of flour and it seemed to have done the trick.  Its in the oven now.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 7

you are brave--i always test everything in tiny batches first--

i'm sure it will be fine

JoyceD Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 7

Tasting the batter coming off the beater, must say, it is a yum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%