First Cake

Decorating By kimbrs Updated 18 Oct 2013 , 1:55pm by therealmrsriley

kimbrs Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 10

This is the first cake I have ever decorated and it was for a wedding.  I didn't charge anything as it was for a friend and I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Just wondering what you as cake decorators would charge and wondering if I should continue decorating as a career.  Any feed back would be greatly appreciated whether positive or negative.  Thanks

9 replies
BatterUpCake Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 10

If this is your first cake I would say you have a lot of potential. What did you use as supports?

-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 10

you did very well for a first cake you are kind of annoying   jkjkjkjk   :lol:     i'm just glad that cameras hadn't been invented when i did my first cake -- i mean seriously you have a very very nice cake for numero uno --but it's a hard business-- i'd recommend it as a sweet hobby--keep wowing your friends and family--you can always make cakes anytime you want--

kimbrs Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks!  I used 5  3/4" dowels on each tier.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 12:03am
post #5 of 10

i should say yes clearly you have the potential to have a cake business--

running a business in any field is another career all on it's own is what i meant in my first post

so if you want to have fun--keep going as you are

but yes your work is very very good for a first cake ;)

Norasmom Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 12:04am
post #6 of 10

Nice job!  How long did it take you?  

Best thing to do if you are considering a cake decorating career is to read this forum regularly!  There are all kinds of ways to have a cake business, many of us do it on the side through word-of-mouth only.

kimbrs Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 12:16am
post #7 of 10

About 20 hours including the baking.  I did a lot of research tho.  Thank goodness for Cake Central!  I got a lot of tips and tricks that were very useful. I didn't make any of the flowers.  I bought them but I have been practicing fondant flowers and buttercream flowers.  Didn't have the confidence to make my own.

810whitechoc Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 11:44am
post #8 of 10

Great cake for your first, well done.  Most of us start by doing what you have done, practice on family and friends, there is a lot to learn and your family is a lot more forgiving than a paying customer.

IowaBaker Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 10

I'm jealous. My first decorated cake that didn't use either a spatula or frosting in a spray can was a Wilton character pan decorated entirely with a star tip and I didn't realize I forgot a line until it was too late!

Looks great! I would have never attempted that as a first cake!

therealmrsriley Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 10

This should definitely give you the confidence to continue. You did a great job! Like many have said, it's a tough business. There are a lot of hours involved. If you're going to legally pursue this as a business find out what you need to do to become licensed. Find resources that will help you with pricing and what to charge. I promise you want to start off charging correctly because charging low for cakes and realizing you need to charge more will be a big shock to your customers. Don't underestimate your time. This is a topic that many starting out don't take into account. It took you 20 hours to finish this cake, how much would you charge an hour? Plus your ingredients, materials, etc.

I didn't mean to write so much. :) Keep doing what you're doing to learn. Friends and family are the best people to practice with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%