Need A Good Sugar Cookie Recipe

Baking By EvArt Updated 22 Oct 2013 , 5:13pm by EvArt

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 6

I can go to my old standby Betty Crocker recipe, but I'm looking for a really good tasting sugar cookie recipe that I can use with flooding icing. These will be for a Cookie Exchange party and they need to hold up well for packing in containers. I used "Grandma Betty's Sugar Cookies" a couple of years ago That I made some really pretty snowflakes out of, and that recipe is pretty good. Just wanting to know if someone has a fav recipe for me to try. And someone else mentioned in the forums about keeping out the baking powder (or soda?) so that your cookies keep their shape?? I would also like a tasty flooding icing recipe if you have one.

Thanks all!

5 replies
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 6

AI use the one from cake journal. It's really good.

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry no recipe. Tips for no spreading instead:

No leavening agents

Don’t overmix when creaming (too much air)

Roll out dough fairly thin

Chill the dough in fridge 1 hour

Freeze the cutout cookies for 15 mins

Bake on parchment paper

Cook at slightly higher temperate and don’t open oven door

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvArt 

I can go to my old standby Betty Crocker recipe, but I'm looking for a really good tasting sugar cookie recipe that I can use with flooding icing. These will be for a Cookie Exchange party and they need to hold up well for packing in containers. I used "Grandma Betty's Sugar Cookies" a couple of years ago That I made some really pretty snowflakes out of, and that recipe is pretty good. Just wanting to know if someone has a fav recipe for me to try. And someone else mentioned in the forums about keeping out the baking powder (or soda?) so that your cookies keep their shape?? I would also like a tasty flooding icing recipe if you have one.

Thanks all!

I will share with you two recipes that do not spread and taste great, especially the chocolate recipe.  I have pictures of my cookies if you look at my profile.

The Vanilla Variation LilaLoa-  I use almond and vanilla extract

http://www.lilaloa.com/2012/04/vanilla-variation.html

1 cup butter or 2 sticks               (1 stick for half batch) 

1 1/2 cups sugar                           (3/4 C for half batch)

2 eggs                                             (1 egg for half batch)

1 teaspoon vanilla- *see note  (2 tsp.)

1 teaspoon orange (or almond) extract  (2 tsp.)

3/4 teaspoon salt                         (1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. if you half the batch)

3/4 teaspoon baking powder     (1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. if you half the batch)

4 C if you refrigerate the dough or 4 1/2 cups flour if your roll them out right away.

(2C if you refrigerate or 2 ¼ C if you roll out right away-half batch)

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, vanilla, and orange extract. Mix well. Add baking powder and salt and mix again. Add flour 1 cup at a time. Again, IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE THESE COOKIES RIGHT AWAY, add 4 1/2 cups flour and go for it. No need to chill the dough. If you are not going to use the dough immediately-- stop at 4 cups of flour. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 3/8 inch thick. Bake at 375 F for 7 minutes. Eat and enjoy. Repeat as necessary.

Try baking at 6-6 ½ minutes next time, for ¼”.

* I (author) use butter that is only slightly softened. Mostly because I don't have the foresight to get it out until EXACTLY when I need it. This recipe is perfect for that. Get your butter out first and then gather the rest of your ingredients and you should be good to go.

** I doubled the flavoring and thinks it lacks flavor, so increase flavoring.  I used equal parts vanilla and almond extract.

The End-All for Chocolate Cookies Recipe LilaLoa:

http://www.lilaloa.com/2011/03/end-all-for-chocolate-cookies-recipe.html

1 cup butter                                      (1 stick for half batch)

1/4 cup shortening                          (1/8 C or 2 T for half batch)

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar          (3/4 C for  half batch)

2 eggs                                                 (1 egg  for half batch)

1 teaspoon vanilla                             (2 tsp.)

1 teaspoon salt                                 (1/2 tsp. if you half the batch)

3/4 teaspoon baking powder        (1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. if you half the batch)

2/3 cup cocoa                                   (1/3 C if you half the batch)

3 C if you are going to refrigerate the dough  or 3 1/2 cups flour if you roll them out right away.

(1 ½ C if you refrigerate or 1 ¾ C if you roll out right away-half batch)

Cream butter, shortening and sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add baking powder and salt and mix again. Stir in the cocoa until well blended. Add flour 1 cup at a time. IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE COOKIES RIGHT AWAY, ADD 3 1/2 cups flour. If you are going to "chill" the dough, or just wait for another day to make your cookies, STOP AT 3 cups. It will be totally soft and look all wrong, and you will want to ignore me completely and add more flour, but I'm telling you -- DON'T DO IT. Practice self-restraint. You will be glad you did, and I will be proud of you. Roll out on lightly floured surface. Bake at 375 F for 6 1/2 minutes. (I roll my cookies 3/8" thick.)

CookieCrazie Glaze Icing- This is our favorite! I only use almond extract.

1 lb (3 3/4 cups) powdered sugar                            2# powdered sugar

1/4 cup corn syrup                                          ½ C corn syrup

1/2 tsp clear vanilla extract                                       omit

1/4 tsp almond extract or emulsion (1 ½ tsp.)      3 tsp. or 1 T almond extract

1/8 tsp butter flavoring                                              omit

approx 1/4 cup water                                     ½ C water

few drops Americolor Bright White Gel

Mix all ingredients together on lowest mixer setting. Mix well for at least one minute.

Notes:

This recipe covers approximately 20-25 medium cookies.

With no perishable ingredients, it can be kept for a week or two at room temperature. You'll have to work with its consistency if it sits for a time.

The flavorings are my preference.  You can mix it up any way you like.

It's important to use CLEAR vanilla extract to avoid influencing icing color

I highly recommend adding Americolor Bright White Gel since it makes such a difference not only in white icing color, but in all the other colors.

Be sure to keep your mixer set on low setting to prevent excessive bubbles.

You'll need to cover the icing (I use plastic wrap) to prevent crusting and thickening. It is not as rapid or prone to crusting as RI, but it still does it.

I use to adjust the icing to a good consistency right away, but I've learned to wait and work with each smaller bowl of color, since some colors need more gel than others. This way you ensure the right consistency for each bag of icing.

http://www.sweethopecookies.com/glaze-glorious-glaze-part-one/

1. Go for a 15-18 count for writing and detailing and 10-12 second count for outlining and flooding.

2. You can use the glaze right away but I suggest waiting for at least an hour, allowing time for some of the air bubbles to come to the surface which can then be gently stirred down before pouring into piping bags or bottles. This waiting time will reduce the amount of bubbles that show up when flooding the cookies.

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 4:06am
post #5 of 6

A

Original message sent by rebecca67e

Sorry no recipe. Tips for no spreading instead:

No leavening agents Don’t overmix when creaming (too much air) Roll out dough fairly thin Chill the dough in fridge 1 hour Freeze the cutout cookies for 15 mins Bake on parchment paper Cook at slightly higher temperate and don’t open oven door

Ditto to all of this, except I roll mine thick, (I use the thickest Wilton rolling guide on my fondant pin) because I like the cookies to be soft and cake-like. I bake at 400 for 8 minutes, so the bottoms have no browning.

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you thank you ladies for the tips. and thank you DarkChocolate, I look forward to trying your recipes.

I have a tip to share with you. I found this last year when making some basic sugar cookies and it's very helpful. Rather than using flour when rolling out your sugar cookies, use powder sugar instead. Using flour for 2nd and 3rd rolls often makes your cookies tough the more you have to roll them out. Powder sugar will keep your cookies light and crisp for every roll of the dough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%