Dowel Times

Decorating By pamalbake Updated 19 Oct 2013 , 3:04am by pamalbake

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a 2 tier cake- 6" and 9" squares, all buttercream.  They want 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling ( preserves in one and curd in the other). I know to put the cake in the refrigerator for 1hr between filling each curd layer but

Question #1-Do  I dowel my cake after my crumb coat settles or after filling, while it settles?. I'm thinking the 1st way.

I did a curd filling before and it was ok, although some curd leaked out (I'll useless this time) during the crumb coat stage.

I have only done a tiered fondant cake before.

The cake is for Saturday, today is Thursday afternoon and I will fill, and crumb it today , frost it tomorrow, Friday..  

question #2- Do I stack the cake Saturday morning?

Question #3- I am stenciling on buttercream with royal icing and painted a gold glaze ( food safe) over the stenciling. I did a test run and can't decide if I should stencil that morning or the day before when I frost it. Anyone have experience or advice on that one. 

Always trying something new, this one is for a dear friend.

Thank you very much for any help with my doweling and stacking, that is my biggest worry with the buttercream cake.

And with only 2 tiers, I should be ok delivering it stacked- right?  Being buttercream.....

2 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 2:54am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamalbake 

I am making a 2 tier cake- 6" and 9" squares, all buttercream.  They want 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling ( preserves in one and curd in the other). I know to put the cake in the refrigerator for 1hr between filling each curd layer but

Question #1-Do  I dowel my cake after my crumb coat settles or after filling, while it settles?. I'm thinking the 1st way.

You put the dowels in the bottom tier after it is finish iced, so obviously after it's filled.  I'd actually do it after I'd completely decorated it.

I did a curd filling before and it was ok, although some curd leaked out (I'll useless this time) during the crumb coat stage.

You need to pipe a buttercream dam about 1/4th inch in from the edge of the cake in order to contain the filling before crumb coating.

I have only done a tiered fondant cake before.

The cake is for Saturday, today is Thursday afternoon and I will fill, and crumb it today , frost it tomorrow, Friday..  

Curds require refrigeration and cannot sit at room temp for too long.  Keep this in mind.

question #2- Do I stack the cake Saturday morning?

Sure, if that time frame works for you.

Question #3- I am stenciling on buttercream with royal icing and painted a gold glaze ( food safe) over the stenciling. I did a test run and can't decide if I should stencil that morning or the day before when I frost it. Anyone have experience or advice on that one. 

The longer the royal is on the buttercream, the more it can break down due to the fats in the BC.  I'd do it as late in the game as I could get away with.

Always trying something new, this one is for a dear friend.

Thank you very much for any help with my doweling and stacking, that is my biggest worry with the buttercream cake.

And with only 2 tiers, I should be ok delivering it stacked- right?  Being buttercream.....

I'd deliver it stacked because I only stack BC cakes when they're cold so that I don't mar the BC finish.

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 3:04am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much.  I am going to do my stenciling in buttercream.  It seems that it is safer from what I have read and my test run, had the coloring running.

All set and ready to dowel in a few minutes. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%