Should I See My Sheeter/cake Stuff Or Forge On?

Business By golfergal Updated 17 Oct 2013 , 1:46pm by MimiFix

golfergal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfergal Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 1:47am
post #1 of 9

My back story:  I am a retired cooking/home ec teacher (beginning of my 2nd year of retirement)  I also have a side cake decorating bis...mostly fun, specialized cakes for friends and family and word of mouth cakes for others.  It has been hot and cold as far as orders go, and since I am very busy with other activities, I'm not devoting much time to marketing nor do I have the space or means to go "big time"...However, my husband, as sweet as he is, thought I'd love a sheeter for my cake biz and took it upon himself to purchase this for me when I retired. It's a 20" Somerset and fab.  However, it's not being used like it could or should. It, in fact, sits on my kitchen table with a table cloth covering it as it's too big and heavy to move around.  I never asked for the sheeter and it was a gift, but I am getting the "what do you want to do with the sheeter" question from my husband as he would LOVE for me to bring some $$ into the household via my cakes or even in teaching some cake decor classes..

The sheeter is fantastic and I love it! However, I do feel guilty when I see it going unused as I decide how to grow my little buisness.

I have a lady who is interested in lease to buy.  She contacted me and wants to come and take a look at it...Initially, I thought it was a good idea, but everytime I think of letting it go, I get sellers remorse and almost start crying...but, we could use the $$...I have hot and cold feelings about selling my cake supplies.  I have a ton, including a Silhuette machine, edible printer, fondant, all the gadgets, etc...and I'm very worried that I'll regret it once I let it go, but OTOH, the equipment isn't doing me any good unused....and i am in a real funk about it.

8 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 1:56am
post #2 of 9

AThis isn't all or nothing. You could sell the shelter and keep everything else.

I say that because I think not having the skeeter won't prevent you from still enjoying & creating cakes.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 1:56am
post #3 of 9

A*sheeter

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 2:53am
post #4 of 9

i say keep it till you can be happy about it changing hands--i was forced to retire due to rheumatiod arthritis--i think i understand what you're feeling--

i have a family of mixers--poppa bear, momma bear and assorted baby bears :grin: a 20 quart, a 10 quart and several 5 & 6 quarts--i'm happy to sell poppa bear but not mom & the kids--not my three deck oven, speed rack, --tables --maybe the commercial fridge but maybe not right now

even though i've had to have a lot of help with my last cakes i need this equipment even though i can't use it -- i just need it for me-- hopefully i'll go into remission--as unlikely as that may be--i'm not ready to close that door--the cake door

it doesn't sound like you are ready to sell the sheeter--you don't have to be practical--the sheeter represents something more than a bulky piece of equipment that's in the way--honor that--sell when you're ready is my thought for you--

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 3:04am
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

*sheeter

Your phone has been on fire today:lol: 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 4:00am
post #6 of 9

AI just want to chime in and say don't let this lady lease to buy it from you - either she buys it or she doesn't. If she breaks it one month into the lease she isn't going to pay the full amount for a broken sheeter, and you'll be out both. Commercial lease to buy transactions require the item be insured for the replacement value, which isn't something that is probably practical/possible in this situation.

golfergal Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 4:04am
post #7 of 9

You made a good point about the insurance issue. Thank you!  I appreciate all the feedback!

golfergal Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 4:06am
post #8 of 9

I completely understand. I have cake pans that I just love and have no real use of them.  But, somehow they make me happy. Keep Papa Bear...and mama  they need you your love.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i say keep it till you can be happy about it changing hands --you don't have to be practical--the sheeter represents something more than a bulky piece of equipment that's in the way--honor that--sell when you're ready is my thought for you--

Oh Kate, kindred cake spirit, you break my heart. Yes, good advice. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%