JennaGee Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 3:33am
post #1 of

AHello lovely people!

I have a friend who wants me to bake her bday cake. She wants sparkle. Like glitter sparkle. Is there anyway I can make a cake glittery without using loads of gritty disco dust (I want an edible cake lol) ? I was thinking about making sequins dusted in pearl dust but I think it will just have sheen but no sparkle :/ any suggestions or tips?

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 4:25am
post #2 of

One can buy edible glitter from cake supply shops.  It is not as sparkly as disco dust but then disco dust in NOT! edible.  Tell the customer that you're dealing with food and some things are not possible.

cupcakemaker Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 7:39am
post #3 of

ADoric glitter is edible, not quite as sparkly but not bad!

lindseyjhills Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 9:29am
post #4 of

AIt's possible to make your own glitter from edible lustre dust, gum arabic and water. Lindy Smith has a tutorial. It's a bit of a faff, but it comes out more sparkly than Doric edible glitter. I have the Doric glitter, and while it works to some extent on cupcakes, it doesn't really show up on large fondant cakes.

Here's the tutorial: http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/08/08/making-edible-metallic-glitter-a-recipe/

JennaGee Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 4:27pm
post #5 of

AThanks kakeladi I get that disco dust is nontoxic but not FDA approved. My friend is aware of this hence my reasons for posting. My cake place only sells disco dust.

I will look into the Doric glitter but if it isn't much sparkly than the glitter in the link then it's not for me :(

Thanks for the link too! I might just have to settle for that on fondant sequins

Rosie93095 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:32pm
post #6 of

Why not just use "sparkling Sugar" I get it at Hobby Lobby and it shines just fine and is not toxic.

cupcakemaker Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 6:45pm
post #7 of

AWhat's a fondant sequin?

JennaGee Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 5:55am
post #8 of

AI apologize I didn't get a notification about the posts, but I did some more research I think sparkling sugar might be my way to go! And you make a fondant sequin by rolling out a piece of fondant rly thin and then cut out a whole lot (like a lot) of dots with a round piping tip. You then take a balling tool and cup the cutout a bit on a piece of foam and then poke a little hole in the middle of the cutout. Let all the dots dry out a bit, place them in a zip lock bag, sprinkle in some disco or pearl dust, et viola! A fondant sequin! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%