Macarons And California...

Business By paul9000 Updated 16 Oct 2013 , 2:56am by jason_kraft

paul9000 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, everyone, I'm not sure how many guys are in here, but I'm a new member, trying to help out my mother so I could buy her a house sooner.


So I guess there's no way I could sell macarons under the new CA Cottage Food Law since it uses buttercream? Unless I sell food and just say you are paying for my "services and time and sweat" not the sweets, and do it under the table?

Thanks very much and I wish everyone the financial stability and prosperity in this red tape filled state of California.



6 replies
Norasmom Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 7

I believe that American buttercream and Swiss merengue buttercream are shelf-stable and you can use it under the CFL. At least here in MA that is the case.

jason_kraft Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 7

AYour best bet would be to contact your county health dept with a list of ingredients in your product.

thecakewitch Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 12:45am
post #4 of 7

AWhy so negative, OP? Have you tried contacting your Health Dept? Most counties approve of ABC, SMBC, and Ganache.

Amylou Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 2:44am
post #5 of 7

AI have had no issues with my county approving my yours and see.

paul9000 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 2:54am
post #6 of 7


Originally Posted by Amylou 

I have had no issues with my county approving my yours and see.

Thank you, Amylou, thanks very much all... Is there a quickstart guide / step-by-step list found in the site for California residents wanting to do business via the Cottage Food Law?



jason_kraft Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 2:56am
post #7 of 7

AThere's a facebook group you might want to join:

Info from CA health:

And info from the SELC (one of the organizations that helped pass the law):

Quote by @%username% on %date%