Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake Sturdy Enough For Fondant?

Baking By tmelrose Updated 16 Oct 2013 , 6:29pm by mfeagan

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 7

I'm needing to make probably a 12x16 chocolate cake this weekend.  The top at least and maybe the side will be covered in fondant plus have cake toppers on it.  I've made the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake before and love it but do you think its sturdy enough for fondant and toppers?  TIA

6 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 7

I have used this recipe and have covered it in fondant and stacked it. It's not my preferred cake for stacking and covering, but it can be done. I like a denser cake and one that isn't as fragile, but this recipe tastes really good. I honestly hate stacking this cake and covering it, if that helps you decide. :)

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for your honesty!  I too love this cake but may steer to a different direction.  Thanks!

mfeagan Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 7

Not a problem! :)

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 7

I use this recipe too but I'm also not keen on it for stacking although like the mfeagan I do do it. I have a more dense chocolate cake recipe, more of a mud cake but it's not as good taste wise as the Hershey's so I stick with the Hershey's - if all this makes sense, I'm really tired.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

I use this recipe too but I'm also not keen on it for stacking although like the mfeagan I do do it. I have a more dense chocolate cake recipe, more of a mud cake but it's not as good taste wise as the Hershey's so I stick with the Hershey's - if all this makes sense, I'm really tired.

Tia:  I agree with Claire138.  Hershey's cake is soft, perfectly delicious wonderful cake. My favorite.

but I also use a recipe that creams butter/sugar making a denser cake for a fondant covering.

Then use chocolate ganache as a filling to make it super chocolaty.

mfeagan Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Then use chocolate ganache as a filling to make it super chocolaty.

MMM...the more chocolate the better! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%