1St Wedding Cake? Possible Insanity?

Decorating By frklphace Updated 16 Oct 2013 , 10:56pm by CakeChemistry

frklphace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frklphace Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all!

My sister asked me to make her wedding cake with 2 months to go before the wedding - I agreed but her wedding fall right after I return home from a 2.5 week vacation. I'll return home to NY (from Thailand) with only 4 days to go before the wedding. 

I also have to go back to my full time job during those 4 days as well so that doesn't leave me much, if any time, to get this cake done. (It's about 55 guests, so - cake for 75 is plenty - not huge but my first attempt at something so large and AND tiered). However, since I've never made a wedding cake before and I'm going to have such limited time I want to get as many things done before my vacation as possible.

I think I can do the filling (lemon curd?) 3 weeks ahead of time and freeze, but I'm using swiss buttercream icing with fresh egg whites, naturally. Can I freeze this for three weeks that way when I get home all I have to do is bake the cakes, fill, ice and assemble?

As an aside, can I freeze the cake for that long too? I've only ever done overnight freezes to help with crumb coat and assembly - but 2-3 weeks seems like it may affect the flavor.

Also feel free to tell me how insane I am if you believe it to be true. It's so hard to say no to your sister on her wedding...

*gulp*

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 12

yes yes and yes--

i like your plan--it sounds pretty sane actually--

except i think you should do a tiered practice cake before you go--

make it from frozen components--just make the same # of tiers but they can be mini size--

but try this all in advance--

and will your fridge/freezer be in use by other family members while you are gone--

if it is just kept shut you should be perfectly fine if there's no power outage or anything

if someone will be opening the freezer to get ice cubes then wrap the cakes in enough protection so that they do not constantly cool off while you're gone

i'm the first one to say someone's crazy but you actually have a pretty sound plan ;)

if it was me--i'd be prepared to re-do any component also--just be prepared to if necessary--

backup the back up plans

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 12

but the buttercream--it's so good nice & fresh--what about measuring out the sugar and having it sitting ready--have the butter ready to be brought out to room temp--then all you have to do is crack eggs--and cooki it real quick--

maybe your test will tell you it works great but that smbc--i just love it muy fresh--

oh--and be sure there's no pickles, onions, garlic, or fish wasting away in the fridge or freezer--because those smells do 'branch' out even into the frozen solid items

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 12

You could freeze the whole decorated cake if you wanted to.  I know that's not what you want to do though and I understand.  The most important thing here is to make sure everything is wrapped well so it doesn't pick up any odors.  You can certainly fill and crumb coat and freeze and finish it up when you get back, a month frozen is no big deal as long as it's wrapped well.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

You could freeze the whole decorated cake if you wanted to.  I know that's not what you want to do though and I understand.  The most important thing here is to make sure everything is wrapped well so it doesn't pick up any odors.  You can certainly fill and crumb coat and freeze and finish it up when you get back, a month frozen is no big deal as long as it's wrapped well.

yes--better than freezing individual components--good call, anniec

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 12

You don't mention how it's going to be decorated so if you need to make any of the decorations now is the time.  Just remember some colors fade so you'll want to petal dust (if appropriate) and store in a dry dark space.  Also, all the details - cake boards, ribbon, non-skid, stands, dowels-SPS.  Have it all thought out and ready to go so you have everything on hand and don't need to run out to the store.  Have a great vacation!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 12

That's totally doable.  It's not a huge cake.

Just don't count on doing your laundry after your vacation for awhile...laundry is what always gets me after I come home from a trip!  Have fun!

frklphace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frklphace Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmom 

That's totally doable.  It's not a huge cake.

Just don't count on doing your laundry after your vacation for awhile...laundry is what always gets me after I come home from a trip!  Have fun!

Nora it doesn't sound like I'll have time to do much packing my clothes either if I have to do everything before as well! Hopefully Thailand just means beached so a bathing suit or two should suffice! I'm really nervous about the jet lag, Thailand is 18 hours ahead of us NY'ers so returning and then getting this cake together won't be easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

You can certainly fill and crumb coat and freeze and finish it up when you get back, a month frozen is no big deal as long as it's wrapped well.

Does wrapped well constitute 10-50 layers of saran wrap?!

I was hoping it decorate with fresh flowers, possibly ribbon/lace... maybe pearls, it's a winter wedding and she's incorporating branches so I wondered about that as well... anything to keep me from making a million ABC flowers!

I agree K8memphis - SBC is so lovely fresh but it must also be transported to the venue because I can't make it on site.

One more thing ladies and thank you ALL so much for the advice (I was secretly hoping you'd tell me I'm crazy so that I can get out of this jam!) I have to drive with the cake in my little Civic down windy highways with speedy, aggressive NY drivers. Can I transport the cake in a frozen state - perhaps in a cooler, and then ice, dowel and decorate on premises? I have 3 hours to decorate and then 5 minutes to shower and get dressed before the wedding!  8-O

I have so many questions...

A Cake A Day Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A Cake A Day Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 4:54am
post #9 of 12

Honestly, it sounds as though you would like to find a way out of making this cake...and I think your sister would understand...On your sister's wedding day, you will want to be with her, helping her get ready, reminding her of how beautiful she is and how proud you are of her. she will need you for emotional/moral support!!! I think it would be just as special to me if my sister went with me to taste wedding cake and select just the right one! I am just wondering if you will be able to be there for your sister on her special day when you are stressed about making and setting up this cake?

MommyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyMommy Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 12

A[QUOTE] and then 5 minutes to shower and get dressed before the wedding! [/QUOTE] That's the craziest thing I seen you post! ;) I can't even shower in 5! Couldn't tell you about the rest but definitely is a lot. Depends on what you can do /handle etc.

MommyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyMommy Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 12

Athing I seen you post!

Thing I have seen you post! ;)

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 10:56pm
post #12 of 12

AI couldn't say no to my sister, I understand!!!! Stop panicking! It's for 75 people and you have four nights! Even if you get in from work, have your tea and do 3 hours a night, this is 12 hours. How long do you usually spend on a cake of this size? (Granted, it's for your sister and all your family will be stood around looking at it.......... No pressure lol) You might need to pull a couple of late ones but you will get it done! Like everyone says, you have a little bit of time to do what you can previous to your hol, have all your stuff in place and prep what you can. Things that need to be done get done. At the end of the day if things go a bit pear shaped it won't be because of lack of effort, organisation, planning or skill, it will be because unavoidable things happen.i reckon you are worrying too much and making it seem worse. Have a great hol, relax, come home, make a cake, enjoy your sister 's wedding. Promise, it will be that easy!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%