Music Box Cake Topper

Decorating By barberjenaden Updated 15 Oct 2013 , 9:44pm by -K8memphis

barberjenaden Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 4

I am planning to use a Tinkerbell music box as a cake topper for my daughter's Tinkerbell themed birthday.  Its got little pegs and the turn key on bottom.  It's a little over a pound, ~3 inch base and ~7 inches tall.  I'm very concerned about it toppling over.  Any suggestions on how to secure it to the cake while not getting icing around the turn key? 

Thanks for any suggestions!

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 4

i would cut a piece of foam core about 5" in diameter and mark the little feet of the ornament and poke indents into the foam core to put the feet into-- then tape it to the underside of the ornament--place it on the iced cake--

ice over the edges of the foam core like it was the top of the cake and decorate that area around the base with flowers or vines or whatever to camouflage the foam core-

if you want to dowel it--

if you use wooden skewers** for dowel -- measure your skewer and cut it to the right height including enough length to stick the pointy end into the foam core and sink the rest of the skewers into the cake-i'd use 3 or 4 skewers

would not survive high winds but...would be secure for a cake

* 1/8 thick poster board filled with foam--purchased at wal- mart or hobby lobby in the states

** the wooden shishkabob skewers available in grocery stores

sounds like a cute cake

barberjenaden Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 4

That sounds very promising.  I hadn't thought of foam board.  It doesn't need to survive high winds (I hope), just a drive across town.

Thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 4

awesome--hope it works out the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%