Dummy Cake

Decorating By bobabut Updated 14 Oct 2013 , 1:06am by maybenot

bobabut  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobabut Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 2:23am
post #1 of 5

Anyone know where I can find a "dummy cake"-practice cake, to practice my icing technique? I do not want the kind that's made out of Styrofoam. My cake decorating instructor told me there is one that's made of with a rubbery mesh surface that will wash easily. I have checked all of the craft stores and Wilton's but can not find it. The ones on e-bay are made of styrofoam.

4 replies
 Norasmom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 2:29am
post #2 of 5

Can't help with your question much, but I have styrofoam and I have found it does wash easily.  It may discolor with dark buttercream, but as far as washing goes.  

IAmPamCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 2:49am
post #3 of 5

AYou could also just wrap a styrofoam dummy with plastic wrap. Or, if styrofoam is a big issue for some reason, wrap a container with plastic (large soup can, coffee can, etc.), and pipe away.

JWinslow  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 4:50am
post #4 of 5

I couldn't find one online.  Maybe Shanter will chime in - she is the find anything online Queen!

Can your instructor tell you where to get them?  IamPamCakes has some pretty good alternatives though.

maybenot  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 1:06am
post #5 of 5

AWell, the styro dummies are cheap and wash easily--even in the dishwasher. If you rub the dummy with Crisco, anything will come off easily and dish detergent will clean off the dummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%