Dummy Cake

Decorating By bobabut Updated 14 Oct 2013 , 1:06am by maybenot

bobabut Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 2:23am
post #1 of 5

Anyone know where I can find a "dummy cake"-practice cake, to practice my icing technique? I do not want the kind that's made out of Styrofoam. My cake decorating instructor told me there is one that's made of with a rubbery mesh surface that will wash easily. I have checked all of the craft stores and Wilton's but can not find it. The ones on e-bay are made of styrofoam.

4 replies
Norasmom Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 2:29am
post #2 of 5

Can't help with your question much, but I have styrofoam and I have found it does wash easily.  It may discolor with dark buttercream, but as far as washing goes.  

IAmPamCakes Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 2:49am
post #3 of 5

AYou could also just wrap a styrofoam dummy with plastic wrap. Or, if styrofoam is a big issue for some reason, wrap a container with plastic (large soup can, coffee can, etc.), and pipe away.

JWinslow Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 4:50am
post #4 of 5

I couldn't find one online.  Maybe Shanter will chime in - she is the find anything online Queen!

Can your instructor tell you where to get them?  IamPamCakes has some pretty good alternatives though.

maybenot Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 1:06am
post #5 of 5

AWell, the styro dummies are cheap and wash easily--even in the dishwasher. If you rub the dummy with Crisco, anything will come off easily and dish detergent will clean off the dummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%