Question About Gourmet Recipe Google Doc

Decorating By fidelis118 Updated 14 Oct 2013 , 4:20am by maybenot

fidelis118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidelis118 Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 1:57am
post #1 of 8

AI would like to test out a few of these recipes. I usually bake from scratch So I was wondering how much a 2 box cake mix recipe makes.

When testing out recipes I use 2 8 inch round pans and layer them.

For example:

[I]Banana Cake - Michellers 2 - white cake mix 2 c flour 2 c sugar 1 1/2 tsp salt 2 2/3 c half and half 1/4 c oil 2 tsp banana flavoring 2 tsp vanilla flavoring 2 boxes of banana pudding mix 2 c banana drinking yogurt 2 mashed bananas 6 eggs[/I]

How many 8 inch round pans would this make? It seems like a lot. Would I need To half this recipe to fill two 8 inch pans?

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is a silly question or it doesn't make sense lol

7 replies
sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 2:19am
post #2 of 8

AIf you bake from scratch, you probably will not like the taste of box mix based recipes. The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum has a delicious banana cake recipe. I made it recently with caramel French buttercream, caramel glaze, and brûléed banana slices on top.

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3118965/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

fidelis118 Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 2:32am
post #3 of 8

A[CODE][/CODE][quote name="sarahgale314" url="/t/764782/question-about-gourmet-recipe-google-doc#post_7454223"]If you bake from scratch, you probably will not like the taste of box mix based recipes. The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum has a delicious banana cake recipe. I made it recently with caramel French buttercream, caramel glaze, and brûléed banana slices on top.

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3118965/width/350/height/700[/IMG][/quote]

That looks delicious! I don't have that book. I'm going to have to look into getting it.

fidelis118 Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 8

AUntil I get the book, does anyone have the answer to my question just so I can try it?

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 13 Oct 2013 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 8

AWith 2 boxes of mix plus added ingredients, it would probably fill 2 10-inch pans, at least! You could use the Wilton chart and measure cups of batter out of the mixing bowl.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 12:59am
post #6 of 8

A

Original message sent by fidelis118

I would like to test out a few of these recipes. I usually bake from scratch So I was wondering how much a 2 box cake mix recipe makes.

When testing out recipes I use 2 8 inch round pans and layer them.

For example:

[I]Banana Cake - Michellers 2 - white cake mix 2 c flour 2 c sugar 1 1/2 tsp salt 2 2/3 c half and half 1/4 c oil 2 tsp banana flavoring 2 tsp vanilla flavoring 2 boxes of banana pudding mix 2 c banana drinking yogurt 2 mashed bananas 6 eggs[/I]

How many 8 inch round pans would this make? It seems like a lot. Would I need To half this recipe to fill two 8 inch pans?

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is a silly question or it doesn't make sense lol

Half of that recipe will make 2 8" rounds.... but, I bake a similar doctored recipe and in my opinion, this recipe has too much liquid--particularly fat--in it. I would not use half and half AND drinking yogurt AND mashed bananas. . I would use 2 2/3 C of water, 1.5 C banana Greek yogurt, and 2 mashed bananas.

It's also important that you check the weight of the mixes you use, as this recipe is based on 18.25oz. mixes. Most mixes are now 15.5 oz.. I just take 6oz. Out of a 3rd box and it works well.

fidelis118 Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 1:50am
post #7 of 8

A

Original message sent by maybenot

Half of that recipe will make 2 8" rounds.... but, I bake a similar doctored recipe and in my opinion, this recipe has too much liquid--particularly fat--in it. I would not use half and half AND drinking yogurt AND mashed bananas. . I would use 2 2/3 C of water, 1.5 C banana Greek yogurt, and 2 mashed bananas.

It's also important that you check the weight of the mixes you use, as this recipe is based on 18.25oz. mixes. Most mixes are now 15.5 oz.. I just take 6oz. Out of a 3rd box and it works well.

Thank you so I should half this recipe and half your reccomended changes to fit it into 2 8" rounds?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 4:20am
post #8 of 8

AYes, that's what I'd do to make 2, 8" rounds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%