Starting A Gluten Free Cake/cupcake Recipe

Baking By banana22 Updated 12 Oct 2013 , 6:04pm by IowaBaker

banana22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banana22 Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!!!  Can anyone tell me the best way  to start a gluten free cupcake recipe??  Gluten Free is very new to me and a little overwhelming.  Any ideas???  Thanks a bunch :)

2 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 3

AResearch. Look up what needs to be done in your kitchen, research all the ingredients that you will be using or need to use. It's not as simple as just saying, "oh, I think I'm gonna bake gluten free today." There are many things to know to be truly gluten free.

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 3

My dad has had celiac disease for around 35 years (he is lucky in that his reactions are not severe), and I didn't know until I came here that if you bake in a kitchen that also is used for products containing gluten, you not only need to re-wash all the pans and utensils, but gluten can remain in the air for 24 hours after use of flours with gluten.

Are you considering offering GF products to the public, or is this regarding baking for a family member? For business, this recent thread had many good points: http://cakecentral.com/t/764696/is-it-easy-to-add-gluten-free-items-to-my-menu-or-not-a-good-idea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%