Wow! I Won't Be Buying Any More Decorating Stuff From Chinese Sellers On Ebay

Decorating By NYAcupcake Updated 12 Oct 2013 , 3:17pm by NYAcupcake

NYAcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYAcupcake Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 3:10am
post #1 of 10

When you look for cool decorating stuff on eBay chances are you'll find a LOT of it sold through sellers in China. I once took the plunge and bought a set of 25 super unique icing tips for like $7.....they arrived and worked great. So when I saw a "silicone food-safe pearl fondant mold" sold on eBay from China, I said, what the heck! I'll take it!

Well. Never EVER again.

I got the mold. It STUNK to high heaven of THE most toxic chemical I have ever smelled. Almost like a superglue smell. I literally almost passed out after I took a good long whiff .... a whiff I took because I was in such a state of disbelief that what I was smelling was a 'food-safe silicone'. It should not have smelled...let alone reeked!

I tossed it in the garbage (didn't even want it in my house, let alone near my food), and went to contact them on eBay to get a refund and let them know how vile the mold smelled. Well, eBay had removed the auction for that item! I still was able to open a case (which I did more so to let them know how gross their mold was). I got a refund immediately, and then wrote back explaining how sorry they were for the slow shipping and how they are not responsible for overseas shipping times.

HUH??? Who said ANYTHING about the shipping times? They totally dodged the issue.

I shudder to think of how many non-food-grade decorating items people like that sell on eBay. :(

9 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 3:20am
post #2 of 10

Glad to hear Ebay removed the item.  So true about having to be careful, there is definitely a lack of regulation.  I must say, though, I bought some fondant plungers that work well and hopefully are not toxic...so far I have not been poisoned.  :D

There have been many forums about copyright issues on here, and when you look for knockoff handbags on the internet they are plentiful from China.  Again, lack of regulation...not to mention how cheap the product is.

NYAcupcake Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 3:34am
post #3 of 10

Exactly right about lack of regulation. All I kept thinking of is someone using that mold and then putting those pearls on a cake :sad: I wonder what the real reason was the eBay removed it...but I am also so glad they did. Now to find an odor-free pearl mold :)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 3:40am
post #4 of 10

Never ever? Just because one Chinese seller didn't work out doesn't mean others wouldn't. A good bit of the stuff that comes from suppliers like CK comes from China, anyway. And they don't always check it out before sending it on the customer. CK sent me six cases of bad tylose.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 4:26am
post #5 of 10

MOST of the stuff that you purchase from your regular cake decorating supplier ..... WILL be made in China !!

Can guarantee it  

Quite often 'plastic' of any type will have a smell - even damn Tupperware - have you never smelt the deli meat out of a Tupperware container!

GOOD & bad in all manufacturing !!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 5:45am
post #6 of 10

I've bought heaps of stuff from China through Ebay and I would challenge you to pick which ones were from Ebay and which ones were from China, but sold through the cake decorating shop.   As in all life, there will always be some dodgy sellers.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 
...so far I have not been poisoned.  :D

Just an FYI to everyone - getting "poisoned" from these types of products is rarely immediate. We may get sick from a build-up of toxins, or we may get sick but not be able to identify the origin of our poor health.

As an off-shoot to this discussion, an article about the difference between edible and non-toxic:  

"For years, cake glitter has been sold in pots labelled either ‘edible’ or ‘non-toxic’. Edible glitter is made from starch-based food products that can be digested by the body. Non-toxic glitter is manufactured from plastic and is not digestible." From Storm in a Cupcake

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 12:28pm
post #8 of 10

My post was to merely highlight that just because something comes out of China that it should not be seen as 'something to be feared'

NYAcupcake Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 10

Of course I know most decorating stuff is made in China...but when you buy from a company that can actually stand behind their products (i.e. CK, whom I have an account with), at least they will be TRYING to do the right thing instead of dodge the issue completely.

NYAcupcake Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 10

Plastic will have a smell... I know that.

Silicone, however, should NOT smell like a chemical. In fact, that probably means it was not even silicone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%