Help ! Fondant Topper / Figurines Cracking

Decorating By Anna1998 Updated 12 Oct 2013 , 11:03am by 810whitechoc

Anna1998 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna1998 Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 1:46am
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

Please help, my fondant figure has cracks !!

I have been using Wilton white fondant and tylose powder to make fondant figure for a few months and did not have any issues until now.   About two weeks ago i made a few animals, they all look fine and firm until today when i check again.  I found that 2 animals have a few cracks on face and body, some cracks are big like a cut/gap and the head and body is a bit soft, not as firm as before but the other 2 animals are fine with no crack.   I always put them all on a baking sheet and keep them in a storage cabinet with door slight open. 

Can some expert to tell me what went wrong, why the crack happens until now? 

Thanks

Anna

2 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 9:29am
post #2 of 3

You need to roll the fondant in your hands first to remove all the cracks before you start modelling the finest crack will widen an expand upon drying , also if the piece is quite large you can poke a few holes up through the bottom of it so it can dry internally easier. I hope this makes sense I am tired. 

Chelle

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 11:03am
post #3 of 3

Rub a little shortening on your hands and then start kneading the fondant, it will make your fondant or gumpaste much smoother and remove those pesky, tiny cracks which as Chelle pointed out, will turn into much larger cracks as your figurine dries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%