Buttercream/humid Climate

Decorating By fidelis118 Updated 12 Oct 2013 , 12:20am by DGbcs

fidelis118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidelis118 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 6

AWhat is the best buttercream (crusting) recipe for a humid climate? I live in Bermuda.

Thank you!

5 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 6

I am in Louisiana..........Africa hot here!   I recommend a high ratio all shortening based butter cream.   There is no comparison to high ratio.  I've used many different recipes.  I will only use HR now. 

fidelis118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidelis118 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 6

A

Original message sent by ddaigle

I am in Louisiana..........Africa hot here!   I recommend a high ratio all shortening based butter cream.   There is no comparison to high ratio.  I've used many different recipes.  I will only use HR now. 

Thank you very much!

DGbcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DGbcs Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 6

I live in Central Texas which is also very, very humid and don't have easy access to Hi-Ratio shortening unless ordering it online.  I use a standard buttercream recipe that uses equal amounts of Crisco and butter and my cakes always turn out great and don't require refrigeration (I leave them in an air conditioned place of course). I know there are differing opinions on Crisco, but I do get many, many compliments on the taste as well as returning customers who have been to higher end bakeries but didn't care for them. So there must be something good about the recipe I use.  :o) I have also heard wonderful things about Hi-Ratio and it's stability but can't afford it right now and have had no problems with what I use.

goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 6

AIf you get an account with CK products, the hi ratio is about the same $$$/lb. as regular shortening if yo buy the 50 lb. blocks. That's including the shipping cost. You have to make sure to order enough during cooler months to last through hot months. Doesn't look too good if left on your porch a couple days in August. Uh-huh.......I did that :(

DGbcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DGbcs Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 12:20am
post #6 of 6

Good to know!  Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%