Scratch Cakes

Decorating By ShugaTLC Updated 21 Oct 2013 , 11:15pm by shaloop

ShugaTLC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShugaTLC Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I usually make cakes from scrach using 2 1/4 cup of cake flour (sifted). I would like to know if I substitute a cup of box cake mix in my recipe would I have better tasting and a fluffier cake. I usually bake sheet cakes in a 2" cake pan. Has anyone evr substituted a cup  cake mix for the cake flour in a scratch cake recipe? and if so how were the results? Also I wanted to know if its ok to use  sifted all purpose flour instead of cake flour? what would the diffence be? thank you

3 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 1:52am
post #2 of 4

ACake mixes are all the dry ingredients in a cake, put in a box (along with preservatives & strengtheners & enhancers...) What is it you are trying to accomplish by subbing the cake flour with a mix? You could end up with a mess because of the leaveners, or a green cake, or a pancake, or or a bubbling mess. The only way to know is try it, I guess. Not sure what makes you think this method will yield a better cake, but try it! Let us know if it works.

urbangrl2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
urbangrl2007 Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 1:04am
post #3 of 4

IAmPamCakes is right. You can't sub one cup of the cake mix for the cup of cake flour. They're completely different. However, you can sub other ingredients. Oil for eggs, yogurt for...well I can't think of it now. But depending on what you want (richer, chocolate, moister) you can play with the ingredients. Google it. Lots of info on it out there. 

If you want to sub the flour though, I'd go the other way. Start with a cake mix and doctor that up for the finished cake. The Cake Doctor (love her, google!) has a lot of great recipes. See if that's maybe what you're looking for. 

Good luck!

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 4

AAll pirpose flour weighs more than cake flour so take out 2 tbsp of flour from each cup or weigh the flour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%