Which Work Table Best For Cake Decorators?

Business By MemoriesInSugar Updated 11 Oct 2013 , 4:34pm by TheSugarLab

MemoriesInSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemoriesInSugar Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 5

AI've been running a small business out of my home, but want to take steps to make it legit and get my business growing. Eventually even have a storefront one day. #dreamingbig :-)

I currently work in my home kitchen on my granite counter top. It works, but as my family of 4 comes home at the end of the day, I'm in everyone's way. Solution: I have a small home office right off the kitchen I can use. My desire is to do my baking in the kitchen and then decorate in my own studio. Out of everyone's way, where my supplies are, and I can shut the door.

My first step is to design my decorating station. I have been looking around at food prep tables and bakers tables, but I don't know what work surface is best. Bakers tables are typically a wood top, but would they pass safety inspections? I perceive them to be a porous hard to clean surface, therefore might I'd get in trouble for not being able to sanitize them appropriately? Another option was stainless steel. I've never worked on that surface so I'd be interested in getting input on that. It seems like a cleaner option to me. Or have I left another option out that I'm not considering?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

-Lisa

4 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 5

AI hsve stainless. I never even considered another materal.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 5

AI like butcher block. It's heavier and doesn't move so much when rolling out fondant or cookies.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 5

My work tables are stainless steel - love 'em.

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 5

I have a commercial kitchen with three stainless steel tables. They do wobble a bit when rolling fondant, so make sure if you ever have anyone helping you that they are rolling when you are trying to pipe. I have a long 8 foot table that's for prep, a four foot table for my mixers and microwave, and then I just got a  4 foot by 4 foot table for decorating. I haven't set it up yet though. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%