Fondant

Decorating By frosales6 Updated 11 Oct 2013 , 1:40pm by lindseyjhills

frosales6 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 4:24am
post #1 of 6

AI want to make a sugar skull cake and decorate it with fondant but I heard fondant taste horrible does anyone have any suggestions?

5 replies
morganchampagne Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 4:29am
post #2 of 6

AFrom your question I'm going to assume you have no experience with fondant (correct me if I'm wrong)

SOME commercially made fondants have a nasty taste, it is for this reason that a lot of people tend to make their own homemade fondant.

If you are a beginning decorator I would suggest you just use the Wilton fondant for this project. The people you are serving the cake to will be able to peel off the fondant if they don't like the taste. And you will be able to get your design.

frosales6 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 6:50am
post #3 of 6

AYes I'm a beginner First time using fondant but heard a lot of negative things about What do you think about homemade buttercream fondant

lindseyjhills Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 7:42am
post #4 of 6

AI use white modelling chocolate to cover my skull cakes, instead of fondant. It tastes great, is roughly the right colour and texture for a skull (you can add edible dusts to make it even more realistic) and also it will enable you to cover it in separate pieces and then blend easily and seemlessly together - especially in the eye sockets which are the tricky part. The only downside is the cost (if you don't make your own).

morganchampagne Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 6

AI think if you don't have any experience with fondant it's not really a good idea to try and make it. If this cake is just for you then sure go ahead and try it.

Beginners often get into trouble by taking on much more than they are ready for. I think it's important to keep it simple

lindseyjhills Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 6

AThat's why I suggested modelling chocolate. It's a lot more forgiving than fondant. I've been covering cakes with fondant for 20+ years, and I would say I still find modelling chocolate easier to work with, especially when covering awkward shapes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%