Using A Real Printed Image?

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 16 Oct 2013 , 5:08pm by Claire138

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 22

Someone called me for a cake with an image on it, I explained to him that I don't have an edible image printer and there would be no way of ordering one this close to the cake date. He says he doesn't care if the image sticks to the cake or whatever might happen in the case of a regular printed image, he must have this. I don't know what to tell him, is there a way to print of an image and somehow stick it to the cake (it will be fondant)? should I put parchment paper underneath or plastic wrap? or will it then slide of the cake? how about if I "stick" the printed image to plastic wrap with bc and then bc that to the cake? Am I making any sense? Anyone know?

I tried to talk him into frozen bc transfer but he doesn't want that.

Any thoughts?

21 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 22

ACan you get the image printed at the grocery store? If not, just tell him it is not possible. We've all heard the stories of a baker trying to accommodate a last minute order then the customer complains it is not what they wanted.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 22

AOnce you explain to the customer what is realistically possible, the "must-have" requirements often turn into "nice-to-have" options.

Claire138 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 22

Thanks but unfortunately I can't bc this is not something that can be done here, he knows that this is what he wants bc he sent me 2 photos and said he doesn't mind which one I use but it has to be printed. I told him very certainly that I have no way of doing this on an edible printer and he said he doesn't care - anything else I proposed to him for the cake he turned down. I'm just wondering if I can print it of, stick it with bc to plastic wrap and then stick that to the cake, or if anyone else has any other ideas?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 22

AIf I were you I would explain that you can't meet the customer's requirements, apologize, and wish him the best of luck with his event.

Or buy a clear picture frame, put the picture in it, and have it set up in front of the cake.

If you really want to try to make this work another alternative would be to make a stand for the picture out of fondant, print the picture on heavy stock, and mount it on the stand on top of the cake. I'm not sure how good that would look though.

How much is the customer paying for this order anyway?

Claire138 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 22

That's a good idea, I actually like the idea of the photo being 'framed', I'll call him and let him know the options. It's a small cake - 8 people. I haven't given a price yet bc I'm not sure what I'm doing. I told him I'd let him know the price when I can figure out if its possible to do it.

Thanks!

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 22

I would just make a gumpaste or fondant plaque. Then I would use clear tape and cover the back of the printed image and stick that on the plaque with buttercream or piping gel. The clear tape would serve as a barrier so the image won't get greasy or spotty from the BC or gel.

Obviously you would tell your customer that this is not edible and to remove the whole plaque before serving the cake..

Gees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gees Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 22

I do cover the picture with either a clear or plastic picture frame, because I would not want to have any contact with any chemical ingredient of the cake, good luck!

Yo si cubriría la foto ya sea con un portaretrato transparente o plástico, debido a que no me gustaría que algun químico tuviera contacto con algun ingrediente del pastel, suerte!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 22

You can use an edible image sheet in a regular printer and use the image in a way that it doesn't actually touch the cake as some mentioned  --on a gumpaste placard for example. It  be attached to lollipop sticks and can stick up vertically instead of laying on the cake. I've had to do this a few times when the edible image printer was on the fritz. Make sure you emphasize to the customer that regular, non-edible ink was used and get them to sign off on that. Usually a grocery store bakery will sell you a blank sheet. You can buy those Wilton ones, but i had trouble getting it to feed through my printer the one time I tried one. Had to push it.

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 1:09am
post #10 of 22

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3117004/a/3411216/birthday-cakes/sort/display_order/#order=7&albumId=3411216&nextId=3117005&prevId=3114469&imageId=3117004&imageESOId=9286219&fullUrl=%2Fg%2Fi%2F3117004%2Fa%2F3411216%2Fbirthday-cakes%2F%2Fsort%2Fdisplay_order&fullSrc=http%3A%2F%2Fcakecentral.com%2Fimage%2Fid%2F9286219%2Fwidth%2F900%2Fheight%2F900%2Fflags%2FLL&thumbSrc=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn001.cakecentral.com%2Fa%2Fab%2F50x50px-ZC-ab470f37_IMG_8017.jpeg&description=%0A&original=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn001.cakecentral.com%2Fa%2Fab%2Fab470f37_IMG_8017.jpeg&setName=&urlSlug=birthday-cakes

I recently ordered an icing sheet print, the person I got it from was having problems with her printer and it was awful! So I just laminated the paper printout and put a border around it. Turned out great and the birthday girl was thrilled with her keepsake. lol. (That's her face photoshopped in place of Alice)

Several of my cakes are done like that, if you look at my album.

Linda

A Cake A Day Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A Cake A Day Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 7:11am
post #11 of 22

I just printed the image on regular paper (duck commander logo), dusted fondant with a mixture of powdered sugar and cornstarch and laid my printed image on top of that to trace around it. I then cut the fondant same size as image and used BC icing to stick image onto the fondant and attached fondant to the cake...Explained to customer it is not edible and to remove that peice of fondant before serving. Hope that was ok...they loved cake and everyone is still alive...LOL

Duck Dynasty Si Robertson Cake

Claire138 Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 7:14am
post #12 of 22

Wow, thanks so much for (all of) your help esp as I'm very visual so having the photos to look at is a bonus;-D

A Cake A Day Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A Cake A Day Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 7:18am
post #13 of 22

glad the info was helpful, good luck with your cake!

Claire138 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 5:19am
post #14 of 22

Update - I called and explained the options to the client and he cancelled the cake. He said he absolutely wants the copy stuck to the cake & I told him that I could and would not do that so he got huffy with me and cancelled. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 5:21am
post #15 of 22

ASorry you didn't get the sale but you are probably better off. He sounds like he would have been difficult even after the sale, probably demanding a refund.

Claire138 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 5:23am
post #16 of 22

I agree, I'm actually quite relieved bc the whole order was 'off' if you know what I mean. Thanks!

CassidysCakesAn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassidysCakesAn Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 1:20pm
post #17 of 22

AHere's a picture of mine that I did for a friend. I cut wax paper to fit the picture and used double sided tape.[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3118188/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Claire138 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 1:32pm
post #18 of 22

Looks fab, 

this order was so weird bc he was insistent that the copy be stuck to the cake even after I explained to him the difference between an edible print and regular print, I told him about ink leaking into the cake, the copy sticking to the cake etc but he didn't care. Made me wonder if he wanted to poison someone:wink:.  

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 22

:-? .

Gees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gees Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 3:45pm
post #20 of 22

Sometimes it's better not to do things you're not sure, so next!

;-)

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 11:05am
post #21 of 22

I the future if you have the time, not only do we print and ship images, but others do as well.  This way you do not have to worry about having things on cakes that are not edible.  Your whole cake can be edible and there are no worries if you let us or someone else who has an edible printer print for you. Health departments are cracking down heavily on non edible products on cakes and people who are cutting corners are getting shut down, so its best that you didn't do it  unless you had a truly edible cake

Claire138 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:08pm
post #22 of 22

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%