Best Way To Stick Fondant Petals On A Fondant Cake?

Decorating By Paperfishies Updated 11 Oct 2013 , 12:23am by Made-With-Love

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a cake similar to this for a wedding in November.  The cake has to travel about 45 minutes through hilly, curvy, bumpy country roads.  Normally I would attach the petals with edible glue but I'm afraid that won't be strong enough.  Will white chocolate be better?  Will white chocolate end up being too heavy?

Also, I can't tell from this picture and the bride to be hasn't gotten back to me yet but is that a flower on the top tier, with petals coming out from it?  Or is it just all petals?

7 replies
jellybeanking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanking Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 8

hi,

i think you should use edible glue to stick on the petals, then when the glue drys put 2 small drops of white chocolate on the bottom of the petals.

FYI i did this on a cake that i had to take 4 hours away so trust me :)

Hope i could help, Jellybeanking:king:

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybeanking 

hi,

i think you should use edible glue to stick on the petals, then when the glue drys put 2 small drops of white chocolate on the bottom of the petals.

white choclolate on the bottom of the petal? I'm doing a cake similar to this too. I don't understand. help! lol

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybeanking 

hi,

Hi!

I'd also like to know what you mean by 2 small drops of white chocolate on the bottom of the petals. Do you mean under the bottom of each petal??

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 8

ATylose glue is plenty. Nothing else needed.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 8

I was on my phone before - just wanted to add, bring some extra petals or (equipment to make them) and some glue for any repairs just in case. But in my expereince they are rarely needed.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 8

I'm with Howsweet...I just did a petal cake last week and a wee bit of tylose glue will make those petals stick to your fondant-covered cake like superglue.  I didn't lose a single petal.  For me, keeping white chocolate at a perfect piping temp (without it cooling and hardening at the tip of the piping bag repeatedly) throughout all of the time it will take you to make those petals would be a PITA.  That's just my opinion, though.

I would cut and ruffle about 15 petals at a time and then glue and stick.  This gives the petals time to stiffen up a bit and hold their shape but still be pliable enough to get them positioned perfectly.  

Made-With-Love Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Made-With-Love Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 12:23am
post #8 of 8

Hi,

With a fondant cake and petals, royal icing is the best choice and it will set really firm if left overnight so no problem travelling with it.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%