SprinklesNC Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 2:05pm
post #1 of

Hi,

Probably a stupid question -- how do I measure how much buttercream I need? Is there some magical mathematic equation? I always feel like I mix it, run out, mix more, run out... How do you determine how much to make in advance? THANKS!!

5 replies
leah_s Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 2:18pm
post #2 of

AThe Cake Bible contains an excellent chart.

Stitches Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 2:52pm
post #3 of

You never make just the right amount, no one does. You make whatever the recipe yields....you guess how much. With practice you start to get a feel for how much you need in relation to how big your cake is.

I always deliberately make too much, I want left overs because if I ever have to make touch ups the color will match. And NO one wants to decorate 3/4's of a cake and run out of frosting, than have to make more.

Just make more and be happy for left-overs.

chaka1 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 3:01pm
post #4 of

Wilton has a good chart for figuring out how much you will need. I think the last column on right shows how much you need for various size pans.

www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Now the problem is figuring out how much frosting a recipe makes. I agree with others here to make more than needed. I freeze any leftovers and use for decorations, etc.

CWR41 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 6:28pm
post #5 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprinklesNC 

Is there some magical mathematic equation?

Here's a helpful thread...

http://cakecentral.com/t/709922/amount-of-bc

mfeagan Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 8:22pm
post #6 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprinklesNC 

Hi,

Probably a stupid question -- how do I measure how much buttercream I need? Is there some magical mathematic equation? I always feel like I mix it, run out, mix more, run out... How do you determine how much to make in advance? THANKS!!

I just always make extra. If you think you need two batches, make 3. You can freeze the leftovers in a ziploc bag. When you need it for something like cupcakes, it's ready! I just take it out and leave it on the counter until it comes to room temperature, put back in my stand mixer and whip it. 

I wouldn't recommend keeping it too long in the freezer. A few weeks to a month at best. Any longer than that, I think it may taste funky. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%