Please Help - Local Caker Friend's 5 Yr Old Son Died Suddenly, Has Had To Close Up Her Shop

Lounge By DebbyJG Updated 8 Oct 2013 , 3:37pm by FromScratchSF

DebbyJG Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 10

I  hope I can post this here. I know it's probably frowned upon to make these kinds of posts, but my heart is broken for my caker friend and I'm hoping the admins will allow this. My local cake fan base/reach is quite small, but the cake world is so large and so overall supportive of each other,  so I am hoping this post is okay.  

As an introduction, I promise you that this is unfortunately all very true.  You can read my profile and see that I've been here on Cake Central for many years - I'm not just someone popping on here to run a scam. Really. My heart is broken for a friend and I'm just trying to get the word out to help, in whatever way  I can. 

A local cake friend here in the Central Ohio area, Elisa,posted this morning that her son had passed away in his sleep last night. Yesterday she had a wedding cake delivery and a couple birthday cakes, and she posted as message to me, commiserating about how she was so tired, yet again so happy after a great cake delivery weekend. On of her sons has had a stomach ache for the last couple days and she told me he still wasn't feeling well, but he went to bed last night as normal, but he didn't wake up this morning.

I've posted a link to a fundraiser page for my friend Elisa. She has had to suddenly, understandably, close up her shop, and cancel all orders. I am hoping we can all come together as fellow cake artists, and show her some love in a tangible way, to at the very least, cover the cost of the refunds she will have to make on her order deposits. I hope we can do abundantly more than that as well, but anything we can do for her will help. 

The site for her donation page is here

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/dcFw5/ab/622nJ6

If you can't donate, please just keep Elisa and her family in your thoughts and prayers. She needs them.
If you can donate - any amount would be helpful, and ***every single last penny*** will go directly to Elisa. 

If the donation link is removed above, the PayPal address I've set up for it is

CakeLoveforElisa @ gmail.com (remove spaces)

Paypal donations can be made to this address. I will collect donations through next Sunday, October 13, and deliver the total amount to her next Monday. I know this is a short fundraiser, but I want to get this money into her hands as soon as possible, so that she can refund her customers and use any extra in the coming days ahead.

Thank for you reading this and for your thoughts and prayers for her. 
Let's show her some cake love!

Thank you.

Debby Gerth

9 replies
Norasmom Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 12:19am
post #2 of 10

I will keep her in my prayers.  Such a tragic loss it's unfathomable.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 12:27am
post #3 of 10

Oh wow, I cannot begin to imagine.

I see you are in Ohio, whereabouts is she? Maybe a few decorators can take over the orders for her?

DebbyJG Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 12:43am
post #4 of 10

AI'm in Columbus, she's in Newark, about 30 min east of here. That was my first thought, and I've gotten a couple local people who have told me they are willing to help out that way. I'm just not sure how to logistically go about that. I don't want her to have to worry about having to forward her notes, customer info, and such, and also how to work out different prices. I know she never charged enough. I'm mostly hoping her customers give her grace and can see past their orders being cancelled. You all know how that can go sometimes, even in circumstances like this. :(

sixinarow Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 12:55am
post #5 of 10

Heartbreaking -- I cannot even begin to imagine, I'm so sorry for your friend.

kikiandkyle Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 1:23am
post #6 of 10

AI'm so sorry for your friend. So so sorry.

DebbyJG Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 10

AJust an update, we blew through my first goal amount of $2,000 in just two days. Apparently I was not thinking big enough. I am so overwhelmed by all the people who have helped grow this little idea. If you have contributed, shared, or prayed for their family, thank you so much! I'm keeping it going, as planned, through the weekend.

This has just shown me that even though we can be, uh, bluntly honest, to each other as cakers, the cake world really is a great community of men and women.

Thanks.

cakealicious7 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 10

ASo so sad

Claire138 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 10

So so sorry, prayers and hugs.

FromScratchSF Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 10

We are sorry for your friend's loss, however this type of thread is not allowed on CC and will be deleted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%