Canceled Party- Keeping Cake Till Next Weekend?

Decorating By ladyjofshallot Updated 6 Oct 2013 , 8:35pm by maybenot

ladyjofshallot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyjofshallot Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 9

AHi I made a cake for a party today. And it got canceled due to weather. The cake was baked and initially frosted 2 days ago. Finished decorating today. Can I keep it for seven more days and still taste good? Layers will have been baked for 9 days before serving. I did not put a simple syrup glaze over it. It is a store cake mix and shortening frosting. Thanks!! Best way to store if I can keep it too?

8 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 9

search the threads, you probably can freeze it.

ladyjofshallot Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 9

I've been searching. The only thing I see for freezing is undecorated cakes. And to extend the life of the cake brush with simple syrup prior to frosting. But my cake is finished.

This cake is three layers high. I have a chest freezer I can put it in. But if it's not going to be good next weekend, I'll let my family eat some of it now. and maybe or maybe not remake it for next weekend.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 9

How did you search? I just put into the search box "Can I freeze a decorated cake?" and it came up with a pile of answers. Try again! (It most definitely can be frozen).

savannahquinn Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 9

search "freeze decorated cake" and you should get a few hits. HTH

savannahquinn Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 9

If you google "freeze decorated cake" you will see a thread on CC.  Posters tell how they froze their cakes.

ladyjofshallot Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks, I searched freeze decorated cakes and found out how to do it. When I was initially searching I was searching for shelf life of a decorated cake. Wasn't sure if I could leave it in the fridge for a week and still be good. And the only thing said about freezing in those threads was for undecorated cakes with the recommendation of simple sugar brush.

savannahquinn Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 9

I wouldn't leave it out for a week.  I think it would be too dry by then. Good luck!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 9

The cake needs to be frozen for that amount of time.

Box the cake. Wrap box in several layers of saran and foil.  Freeze. 
24 hrs. before serving, place wrapped box in fridge. If box is too large for fridge, sit on counter still wrapped.
A few hrs. before serving, place wrapped box on counter. 
Right before display/serving, unbox cake. 
Serve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%