TheItalianBaker Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 5:31pm
post #1 of

would you think $45 is waaaaaaaay to expensive for this cake? I heard a couple saying "it is an outrageus price!!" So my boss priced it $35 the next day...

It's a chocolate cake, with raspeberry preserve filling, chocolate ganache frosting and accents in fondant.

12 ppl serving

 

 

(it's a wilton pan, I totally hate it, sooooo many details and you need to frost every single one.. ouch! took me 2h just for frosting and decorations..)

47 replies
Godot Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 5:45pm
post #2 of

AOutrageous price at $35! Not worth more than $20.

cakesbycathy Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 5:53pm
post #3 of

I would price it at $50. Is the skeleton edible?  Add another $15.

 

So your boss prices his cakes based on if some random customers complain that the price is too high?  How long has he been in business???

TheItalianBaker Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 5:56pm
post #4 of

I really hope that's a joke.

$20 is $1,66 for serving, I am not Walmart!

TheItalianBaker Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:00pm
post #5 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakesbycathy 
 

I would price it at $50. Is the skeleton edible?  Add another $15.

 

So your boss prices his cakes based on if some random customers complain that the price is too high?  How long has he been in business???

 

I know right? yes the skeleton is fondant, so edible.. I told him not to low the price, but what can I say.. ??

He's rather have many orders for a little less money to grow the business..

lesucreaufour Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:01pm
post #6 of

i don't believe that 45$ is a outrageous price, but it might be to high a little...is't a 3D cake (even if it's a wilton pan cake), frosted in ganache, fondant decorations, spider figurine etc...i think that 35$ is a good price...it's 3$ per serving.

 

When i go to a restorant, i buy a piece of cake for 3.50-4$ and it's not even decorated.

 

I guess, it's also depends on your location.

 

It's only my point of view :)

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:44pm
post #7 of

It's actually not legal to sell a cake from a Wilton pan. I have that same pan.

Norasmom Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 7:02pm
post #8 of

I sell cakes from my round wilton pans.

If it's the coffin shaped pan without the skeleton, it might be okay only because it's a shape, not a character.

I would charge $50 as well.  

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 7:36pm
post #9 of

I have that pan. The skeleton is a part of it. But I guess it isn't a licensed character so I don't know abut that...Good point Norasmom

BeesKnees578 Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 7:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

Outrageous price at $35! Not worth more than $20.

Are you kidding?!?  There's probably more than $20 in supplies!!!

 

Curious as to why you would say this?

MimiFix Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 7:47pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

Outrageous price at $35! Not worth more than $20.

 

It's just cake. And it's falling apart, we can see it crumbling. I say $15, not a penny more. 

liz at sugar Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 7:54pm

OP, didn't you see this coming from a mile away when you posted about taking this job a month ago?  So your boss wanted you to price cakes for him, but he didn't want to take the advice??

 

Changing him, teaching him, advising him, etc. is all futile, if he just asks customers what they want to pay.  Just give up now while you still have your sanity.

 

And to the new people reading this thread, the low prices being tossed about are sarcasm. :)

 

Liz

BrandisBaked Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 8:10pm

AI would say that it shouldn't take you even half that long to decorate that cake and $35 is more reasonable. Also, I wouldn't use fondant for the skeleton, buttercream would work fine and be quicker.

BrandisBaked Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 8:14pm

AP.s. I wasn't being sarcastic, just honest and hopefully helpful.

liz at sugar Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 8:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

I would say that it shouldn't take you even half that long to decorate that cake and $35 is more reasonable. Also, I wouldn't use fondant for the skeleton, buttercream would work fine and be quicker.

 

Agreed on the time, 2 hours is too long.

 

Liz

maybenot Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 9:24pm

Well, I don't know what he's paying you, but let's just say $12/hr.  So, just the decorating cost him $24.

 

Let's say that mixing, pan prep, electricity, ingredients, insurance, gas, rent, board, etc. ran him another $6. 

 

If he's happy with a soft $5 "profit", why argue with him as long as you're getting paid?

 

Now, with such poor business practices, you may not have that job for very long....

 

Always make sure that you're paid off the top because you might show up to work one day to find the doors padlocked........

 

Sometimes, you can't save people from themselves.  It's important to know when to stop trying and to use that effort to protect yourself.

SandiOh Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 9:26pm

its not legal to sell from a wilton pan. where is that disclaimer? so if i have a 9' round wilton pan, can't sell that cake.?

not following this logic.

plus I think that cake is worth $45...less than 4 per serving. ganache isn't cheap (depending on chocolate used)

BrandisBaked Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 9:29pm

AYou cannot sell cakes made from the copyright character pans, but the non-licensed pans are free to use however you like. This would include generic ghosts, skeletons, etc. I'm sure Wilton lists which pans are acceptable to use for sale.

BrandisBaked Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 9:35pm

AIf you look at their pans, they distinguish "for home use only" when they are not able to be sold commercially.

http://www.wilton.com/shapedpans/browse.cfm

TheItalianBaker Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 9:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybenot 
 

Well, I don't know what he's paying you, but let's just say $12/hr.  So, just the decorating cost him $24.

 

Let's say that mixing, pan prep, electricity, ingredients, insurance, gas, rent, board, etc. ran him another $6. 

 

If he's happy with a soft $5 "profit", why argue with him as long as you're getting paid?

 

Now, with such poor business practices, you may not have that job for very long....

 

Always make sure that you're paid off the top because you might show up to work one day to find the doors padlocked........

 

Sometimes, you can't save people from themselves.  It's important to know when to stop trying and to use that effort to protect yourself.

fortunately the business is going pretty well, cakes are a very little part of it.. but your counts are totally write!

 

Anyways, yes I took me around 2h but it wasnt just for that cake, I try to do several things together. So let's say, with no interrupts, it will took me 1h ok? (it wasnt quite simple ganache the little spaces and smooth them out!!!) 

I am trying to get them on the right direction, which is, in the first place, educate ur customers and don't let them tell you how much YOU should charge! I mean.. you don't go at the restaurant and start questioning why the chicken cost $15, while you want to pay $10!!!

 

long way to go indeed!

kikiandkyle Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 10:59pm

AYou need to break it down for your boss like it was above - the cost to make this cake was probably over $30 so he made $5 profit at best. Ganache, fondant, raspberry filling - none of them come cheap. And the $12 an hour you get doesn't account for the payroll taxes he has to pay on his side (I assume you don't get any benefits).

I'd like to see your clients go to Walmart and barter down the prices.

Stitches Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheItalianBaker 
 

fortunately the business is going pretty well, cakes are a very little part of it.. but your counts are totally write!

 

 

I find it hard to believe the owners are costing out and pricing the other desserts/pastries any better than their cakes. That's not logical. You either understand costs and mark-up or you don't.

liz at sugar Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches 
 

I find it hard to believe the owners are costing out and pricing the other desserts/pastries any better than their cakes. That's not logical. You either understand costs and mark-up or you don't.

 

Bingo.

 

Liz

embersmom Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 3:23pm

I'd say $25.  It's not that big of a cake if it serves 12.  Yes, the skeleton is in fondant, but it's a simple skeleton.  There doesn't seem to be anything else there that screams "charge more" in terms of other decoration/embellishment.

 

I love chocolate and raspberry together, btw  :)

jason_kraft Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 3:26pm

A

Original message sent by Stitches

I find it hard to believe the owners are costing out and pricing the other desserts/pastries any better than their cakes. That's not logical. You either understand costs and mark-up or you don't.

That's assuming the owners can actually measure their profitability. They may just be looking at revenue, which doesn't really tell you how successful your business is.

Stitches Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 3:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 


That's assuming the owners can actually measure their profitability. They may just be looking at revenue, which doesn't really tell you how successful your business is.

 

Yeah, well when your deposits aren't more than your debits in your bank account, you'll figure things out, quickly!

jason_kraft Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 4:07pm

A

Original message sent by Stitches

Yeah, well when your deposits aren't more than your debits in your bank account, you'll figure things out, quickly!

What's that? The balance in the business account is getting low? No problem, just add some more money from the personal account! :top hat:

Gees Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 4:25pm

If your boss wants to sell in volume, I understand the price is low, $ 35, and you get your Commission as with other cakes, I guess.

kikiandkyle Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:11pm

A

Original message sent by embersmom

I'd say $25.  It's not that big of a cake if it serves 12.  Yes, the skeleton is in fondant, but it's a simple skeleton.  There doesn't seem to be anything else there that screams "charge more" in terms of other decoration/embellishment.

I love chocolate and raspberry together, btw  :)

Chocolate, cream, fondant and raspberries must be very cheap where you are!

Claire138 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 


Chocolate, cream, fondant and raspberries must be very cheap where you are!

 

That's what I was thinking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%