My Cake Was Leaning

Decorating By SweetAroma13 Updated 8 Oct 2013 , 12:11pm by mikeclark

SweetAroma13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetAroma13 Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 12

Hello Everyone,

I believe I know what happened with my cake but since I am still a newbie I wanted to ask some of you with more experience. I made a three layer cake iced with butter cream but it was leaning; was I supposed to put dowels in it and if so how many normally does the job?

11 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 12

A three "layer" cake... or a three "tiered" cake?

SweetAroma13 Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 12

It was just a three layered birthday cake.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 12

I would imagine that the layers were not level. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAroma13 

It was just a three layered birthday cake.

So this was a single cake made up of 3 layers?  How tall was each layer--1", 2"? So the whole cake was how tall?  4"? 6"?

If this is the case, no, you don't need dowels.  But, the layers need to be level and the filling [even if it's just icing] between the layers needs to be level, too.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 12:31am
post #6 of 12

AI can't really picture a 3 layered cake leaning, unless you stacked it that way and covered it that way - did you just not see it 'leaning' until it was finished?

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 12:35am
post #7 of 12

Do you mean the layers were sliding? Sometimes when you are icing and filling, if your butter cream consistency isn't right, the layers can be pushed out of place, or slide.

SweetAroma13 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 1:02am
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone but I had a duh moment reading everyone's comments and I did not level them:-(. However, the birthday girl and all of her guests loved it (I was the only disappointed person) but I'm trying to remember I am still learning; I just got too excited. Thank you all for your responses, I am certain you all will see a lot of me in the forum:).

Shun

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 1:31am
post #9 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAroma13 

Thanks everyone but I had a duh moment reading everyone's comments and I did not level them:-(. However, the birthday girl and all of her guests loved it (I was the only disappointed person) but I'm trying to remember I am still learning; I just got too excited. Thank you all for your responses, I am certain you all will see a lot of me in the forum:).

Shun

Buy a cake leveler. They are worth the money and you will have level layers every time! Also...if you have multiple layers in a single layer cake, measure your filling between each layer. That way you have a beautiful cake inside and out! 

SweetAroma13 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 1:48am
post #10 of 12

Thanks mfeagan! I will most definitely  be buying a leveler this week!

mikeclark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikeclark Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 12:04pm
post #11 of 12

hi sweetAroma13 . there are so many cake making techniques are avaible in the internet on so many websites. so plz visit the cake related site and access useful  information about cake .

mikeclark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikeclark Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 12:11pm
post #12 of 12

Hi SweetAroma13 there are so many cake making techniques are available on the internet . so plz visit the cake related website and access the useful information about the cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%