Question For Pa Cakers About Menu And Labeling Regulations.

Business By kathik Updated 8 Oct 2013 , 4:53am by kathik

kathik Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 4:42am
post #1 of 6

So I am going to work on getting licensed and I have been reading the regulations and have a few questions.


The regs say "During the initial inspection of the home-based food operation, the sanitarian will record the product (s) menu. All additions or revisions to the original menu after the initial registration must be communicated to regional PDA Food Safety Office.


So does this mean that they record every flavor variation ad if you create a new one you need to notify them, or does this mean they record general categories like cakes, cookies, etc.?


Also, I found the labeling section very confusing. Do you label cakes you sell and deliver directly to a customer? I am used to labeling my biscotti, but not special order items. I would like to hear how you handle this?


Thank you for all your helpful advice.  I am so excited to start up my business again!



5 replies
kathik Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 6

AAnyone have any input on this?

jason_kraft Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 6

AI recommend contacting the PDA directly and asking them.

kathik Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 6

AI plan to do so this week, I just thought maybe I could get a heads up here first. I know there are other bakers from Lancaster county here.

kpry Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 1:27am
post #5 of 6

I don't live in Lancaster County, but I did not  have to provide any recipies.  I did have them ready if requested.


Also, if I sell a directly I don't label, but at the farmer's market I have the labels on the prepackaged items.

kathik Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 4:53am
post #6 of 6

Thanks kpry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%