Fondant Looks Like The Backside Of A Cellulite Leg

Decorating By smittyditty Updated 6 Oct 2013 , 2:46pm by smittyditty

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 3:53am
post #1 of 10

No seriously. So I made the Toby Garrett scratch recipe found on here under the recipes section. Twice I have had this happen in the past 3 days. I thought maybe it happened the first time because I didn't add the corn syrup, glycerin to the gelatin.

Second try I did and still have the same results. Its all bumpy. There aren't any granules of PS and I sifted it all anyhow. It just is like curdled looking. If I roll it with the rolling pin it smoothes out but also has the lines and elephant skin... anyone know what I did wrong? I waited the 24 hours before using.

I have also tried the Michelle Fosters recipe with more success however with both recipes I'm having to add another 1lb of PS or more!

By the way just to correct myself from an earlier post where I was having a different issue with the MF recipe..The wiltons tastes NOTHING like scratch...lol ...It had been just a really long time since I had bought wiltons and forgot what it tasted like. Scratch is WAY better.

Thanks in Advance if anyone can lead me down the path to perfect fondant.

9 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 4:54am
post #2 of 10

AI have nothing to add but your thread title had me laughing so hard I had to bury my face in the pillow to keep from waking the neighbors.

smittyditty Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 4:58am
post #3 of 10

Glad I could oblige...seriously though I'm not joking it looked like one of those Star magazines with pictures of movies stars thighs all over it. It was bad..very very bad.

smittyditty Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 5:00am
post #4 of 10

Ok well I'm gonna go to bed its midnight and I guess the scratch fondant makers are sleeping or working. I'll hope for a miracle cream remedy in the morning when I awake from the all knowledgeable fondant makers. :wink:

vgcea Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 5:11am
post #5 of 10

AI found out with MFF from experience and from posters here that you end up using way more sugar than the 3.5lb called for. Infact when I make it I start with dumping about 4lb in and then I add more as I knead. So your extra 1 lb is not off considering the TX humidity.

smittyditty Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 10

This isn't MMF though. I actually never needed more than one bag when making MMF. My house I deem as weird temperature wise. I think its very dry..lol.

I'm guessing everyone is busy on work since its the weekend so I'm just gonna half to wait for an answer.

vgcea Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 12:43am
post #7 of 10

A

Original message sent by smittyditty

This isn't MMF though. I actually never needed more than one bag when making MMF. My house I deem as weird temperature wise. I think its very dry..lol. I'm guessing everyone is busy on work since its the weekend so I'm just gonna half to wait for an answer.

Yeah I was responding to the 2nd paragraph in your OP about having to add extra PS to the MFF (not MMF)-- that you're not alone when it comes to adding more PS than the recipe calls for.

smittyditty Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 1:25am
post #8 of 10

Ah gotcha. The fondant was SO sticky not sure if that helps anyone figure out the problem. The more sugar I added it then became dry..I added a bit of water then it just crumbled. If I added quite a bit of shortening it seemed to help more however it still was small cellulite looking?

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 2:00am
post #9 of 10

Hehe, makes be thankful it's finally jeans weather! :) I've never tried Toba's recipe, but I've made MFF with and without the white chocolate and like the workability better without. 

smittyditty Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 10

Well I checked my PS like someone suggested and the date is fine. Its a whole year under expiration. I also use only the CK pure 10x so I'm still clueless. I will switch back the Michelle Foster recipe and go from there I guess. Just would like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%