A Cautionary Tale About Saigon Cinnamon

Decorating By DeniseNH Updated 4 Oct 2013 , 12:36am by scrumdiddlycakes

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 13

I bought two large contains of Saigon Cinnamon for my pumpkin spice cakes and both my husband and I noticed a grit in it.  Sort of like eating a piece of cake on a windy beach and getting very fine particles of sand in your mouth.  I started eliminating ingredients and replacing them with others - there were only two that I've tried differently this year and one was the cinnamon.  I'll use it up in gingerbread houses and crunchy cookies where you can't tell which crunch is which but in cakes, it's pretty noticeable.  Wanted you to know.  So sad because it's double strength and awesome tasting - just don't like eating sand and I know my customers won't either.

12 replies
Kimdarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimdarella Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 13

Could you sift the larger particles out?

Thanks for the heads up

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 13

oh dang it--i love that stuff--what brand did you get?

could you take it back?

DeniseNH Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 13

Nope, it truly looks like a powder but when it hits your teeth it feels like micro particles of a hard substance.  Sort of like when you brush your teeth with a toothpaste that has those scrubbing (teeth whitening) particles in it.  Gritty.    Honestly, my husband will eat anything!!!! but each time he bit into this years batch of pumpkin spice cake he couldn't finish it because it reminded him of extra fine beach sand and turned him off.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 13

It sounds like you got a bad batch.  Cinnamon is simply ground up tree bark so maybe they bottled it too early.

DeniseNH Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 13

Could be.  Stranger things have happened.  Just wanted to let everyone know in case it happens to you - knowledge is power and this will save you a lot of time trying to figure it out.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 13

I have some Saigon cinnamon from Costco and haven't noticed anything similar.  However, I wonder if part of their grinding equipment ended up in the batch?  Microscopic metal bits?   I think you should return it as defective and get a refund.  No part of a cinnamon stick (bark) seems like it would produce a sandy or gritty material.

Liz

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

I have some Saigon cinnamon from Costco and haven't noticed anything similar.  However, I wonder if part of their grinding equipment ended up in the batch?  Microscopic metal bits?   I think you should return it as defective and get a refund.  No part of a cinnamon stick (bark) seems like it would produce a sandy or gritty material.

Liz

I agree with this!  I ground my own cinnamon last time and even though some pieces weren't "fully" ground and in tiny chunks, they were definitely not gritty like sand.  Still soft enough to chew on.  I'd return it, please stop eating it in case there is something unsafe in there.

DeniseNH Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 13

Will do.  Sometimes there's equipment failure.  Honestly the bits are microscopic but when your teeth grind into something - with almost each bite, it truly is a concern.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 13

ADefinitely contact the manufacturer as well as the retailer.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 13

what brand is it? did i miss that somewhere?

DeniseNH Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 13

Kirkland. COSTCO's brand.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 12:36am
post #13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseNH 

Kirkland. COSTCO's brand.

I have one of those at home, and it is nothing like that. You definitely got a messed up batch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%